4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Zidoo says

Hi, I am looking to take my site to the next level. Currently, my site is backed by Wordpress as CMS so it functions as a blog, but the next step is to become a Market Intelligence website.

Since the website is about a Niche in finance and financial markets, I am looking to add databases of fund performance, company profiles, and research papers. Furthermore, as the site grows in popularity, and demand for certain features and services grows,

Since I am not an expert in programming and IT, but proficient in finance, I am looking for advice. My question is:

-Should I continue with Wordpress. Will Wordpress allow programmers that I hire in the future be able to work on different complex features using APIs from Bloomberg for exemple?

-If not, what kind of platform should I use?

Thank you for your input.

219 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
NuclearThemes says

WordPress is a great platform and unless you have a large budget, it’s worth sticking with.

18 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
webarto says

You can modify WP almost however you like, but it is definitely not the best for all purposes (there is no universal solution), porting to custom made platform shouldn’t be too expensive.

2457 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
digitalimpact says

I’d go with Joomla, I use to be a wordpress nut, but here recently it has been letting me down. I feel Joomla is way more powerful and lets face the facts, It’s an actual Content Management System. Wordpress was built for bloggers.

The ‘built for bloggers’ days are a thing of a past. Why exactly wouldn’t it be a CMS ? You use it to manage content, so it’s a CMS :)

Don’t know about you, but everything I tried doing with WP, I succeeded. Not saying that it can do anything, but I’ve yet to see something that can’t be done with WP.

I think it’s just a matter of being used to a particular environment. That’s why we have WP, Joomla, EE and so on :)

3723 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
quickandeasy Moderator says

I find Wordpress quite good to use as a base and build on. The plugins and community that surround Wordpress are huge.

As your site grows, there’d be nothing to stop you building particular modules outwards and simply plugging them into your wordpress userbase.

I don’t know anything about Joomla so I can’t compare, but I’ve never had any problem with wordpress not being able to do something I’d wanted.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

If you’re thinking the site might grow rather large in the future and you need great scalability I would look at using Django, its an awesome framework.

https://www.djangoproject.com/
1289 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

You could also try http://pyrocms.com Modular, extendable and pretty much capable of anything you can throw at it!

Scott

155 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Warll says

My suggestion in your case would be to stick with wordpress for now.

When you hire a programmer they’ll have a better idea of what is needed but I expect you’ll need/want to migrate to something built with a framework or Drupal. You might just migrate the complicated parts of the site. The news/blog could stay under wordpress.

Doing just about anything with Bloomberg or like is going to put you outside of what a standard CMS (and the average web dev) is good at. Keep in mind that you can also write sites in java and perl in which case you would have to use a framework.

572 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
BoxedCreative says

Joomla or Wordress – doesn’t matter but Joomla is well ahead of the game than Wordpress when it comes to plugins, extensions, components, modules and so on. I think comparing Joomla with Wordpress is more like comparing apples with oranges – both fruits but have different nutritional values – Wordpress is limited to blog/articles based contents. Where as Joomla is more powerful and you can do much more in terms of the extensions and plugins available. I’ve built about 12+ sites in Joomla and never had a problem. Although it did take a while getting used to. But once I got the hang of it it opened up many possibilities. I guess you’re just going to have to do more research as this subject is very opinionated and it’s a personal choice, what you feel most comfortable with.

915 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
michaelhejja says

If you are small with no money, go with WordPress. If you have a little money, go with JoomlaDrupal. If you’re actually trying to have a start up .com company, build it from scratch.

by
by
by
by
by
by