18 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
jctodd says

I’m setting up a blog that will involve lists of pages/posts (tutorials). Looking for a plugin that displays a specific list, and displays if a user has seen that post/page.

That way, I can have a progress page saying something like this: iPhone development tutorial track To complete this track, you need to read these tutorials… iPhone 101- completed iPhone SDK- unread Universal Apps- unread etc, etc.

I’ve looked into it, and know it can be done (the WordPress database stores and can spit out these variables). I’m just not a developer, so I don’t know how to code this into a working script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
stuple says

Hi jctodd,

By the sound of it, what you need is something like User custom fields. The Wordpress function used for that is called “update_usermeta”. If you are familiar with the way to access custom fields for posts programatically, it is essentially the same.

To clarify the logical steps: you need to store as a user custom field the posts ID that the user has visited (or subscribed to or however you decide to go with UX). Later, when you visualise links to that post, you would be able to mark them as visited or indicate to the user that they have been involved with them.

I found an article that sort of explains the mechanics of storing those with code,

http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/09/10/adding-and-using-custom-user-profile-fields

Let me know if you have problems implementing it or would need help with coding it.

Regards

18 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
jctodd says

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I know the pieces are there, and I know what I want the pieces to do, but I’m not a programmer and don’t even know where to start writing the code for it…

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
stuple says

Hi jctodd,

I see better where you are coming from now. Unfortunately I have not seen something similar and that is probably to do with the fact that it would be tightly integrated to the way the theme displays the content.

However, if you are interested in getting a plug-in developed for your specific case, I would be happy to do it for you.

Regards

by
by
by
by
by
by