973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Hey,

I have noticed there are quite a few theme frameworks around for Wordpress that are helping some Authors on themeforest make their themes that bit better, but there are non for plugins.

I know that developers can just make their own code but I was thinking what would people want from a framework?

I was thinking:

• Upgrading (Envato specific)
  • Licensing before install (Envato specific)
  • Child Plugins
  • Share & Donate buttons (just extra marketing)

Can anyone think of any extra ideas?

Maybe I will build it one day and make it available on Github for Authors to download free and make their own versions on top of whats there.

376 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
RightHere says

I would leave the share and donate buttons out :)

When a customer buy a premium plugin – the last thing they want to see is annoying share and donate buttons. Many customers who buy themes and plugins use them for the own clients, and therefore its important that they “look like” something they made if you know what I mean.

A plugin framework is not a bad idea. However I think many top plugin developers already have their own (we do). With exactly the features you mention.

In reference to the automatic upgrade – we have asked Envato about this numerous times. And the answer has been that they don’t want us to host updates our self. Therefore we only provide a update notification. And then the customer has to download the plugin from codecanyon. This is definitely not the ideal situation and almost weekly we have customers “complaining” or asking about a solution similar to what wordpress.org offers.

It is easy to create and some authors have already done it. I guess Envato have other priorities.

I think it would be a great improvement to both the WordPress themes on themeforest and WordPress plugins on Codecanyon – if this was a feature that Envato offered its authors. It would create a better customer experience.

..back to your idea. If its build solid and can be configured/customized I think it is a great idea.

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Thinking about the donations thing agree but i think i will put a share button but just have it minimalist (maybe in the footer or something).

As for the update feature I would make it work off a custom update server (so when i have a update i would update the DB) but download from the Envato servers via the API

973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

I seen on envato notes theres a framework for automatic updates for wordpress themes so hopefully that will come to plugins and i can use that for a plugin framework, any other ideas that people would like?

485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
omarabid says

I’m working on one actually. It’ll have even more advanced features like an Object Oriented Backbone, Admin Interface, Auto-updates, Unit Testing and more goodies of best practices.

It’ll have permissive licensing, so you can use it on your commercial (CodeCanyon or independent) and Open Source projects alike.

It’ll get published on my GitHub. Today I started by adding the first repository which is a PayPal gateway for WordPress. You can follow me if you are interested in more cool projects and open source code for WordPress and JavaScript/HTML5 ;)

371 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
amzee says

Hey,

I have noticed there are quite a few theme frameworks around for Wordpress that are helping some Authors on themeforest make their themes that bit better, but there are non for plugins.

I know that developers can just make their own code but I was thinking what would people want from a framework?

I was thinking:

• Upgrading (Envato specific)
  • Licensing before install (Envato specific)
  • Child Plugins
  • Share & Donate buttons (just extra marketing)

Can anyone think of any extra ideas?

Maybe I will build it one day and make it available on Github for Authors to download free and make their own versions on top of whats there.

Here you go:

HMVC WordPress Plugin Development Framework http://codecanyon.net/item/wordpressfuel-hmvc-wp-plugin-development-framework/4316590
973 posts
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

Here you go: HMVC WordPress Plugin Development Framework http://codecanyon.net/item/wordpressfuel-hmvc-wp-plugin-development-framework/4316590

I seen and thought, there goes that idea I will never have time to make, haha.

371 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
amzee says

Here you go: HMVC WordPress Plugin Development Framework http://codecanyon.net/item/wordpressfuel-hmvc-wp-plugin-development-framework/4316590
I seen and thought, there goes that idea I will never have time to make, haha.

Thanks anyways :)

by
by
by
by
by
by