2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Hello fellas

how wp plugins are normally packaged on CC ?

• download.zip = plugin.zip so it can be uploaded “as is” to wordpress
  • download.zip =
    install.txt
    psds
    otherStuff
    plugin.zip = wp plugin

29 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
bqworks says

I use this format:

download.zip =
readme.txt
help
psds
otherStuff
plugin.zip = wp plugin

2010 posts
+9 more
bitfade says

i used the latter in the end. thx

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
TylerQuinn says

there should be a standard to cut down on the bad reviews / useless comment threads started by the “Invalid plugin header” error which occures when a download zip is uploaded as a plugin and it contains a different structure.

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

May I make a very very obvious comment.

Why don’t Envato, supply a download folder. With all hierarchal folders within it.

That way new authors, can just pop into each folder the required files, rename the master folder and upload when they publish…

Could make life so much simpler.

Ok theres tons of upload destinations, but I am sure there is a preset format.

2010 posts
+9 more
bitfade says
TylerQuinn said
there should be a standard to cut down on the bad reviews / useless comment threads started by the “Invalid plugin header” error which occures when a download zip is uploaded as a plugin and it contains a different structure.
yeah, that was my concern

i tought about including a fake “plugin.php” into download.zip root folder which will show a warning message and instruction for how to proper install the component in the plugins admin page if download.zip is directly uploaded to wordpress.
333 posts No! It's not a 5 minute job!
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
WebFactory says
TylerQuinn said

That’s a HUGE issue for us! We have at least one support request per day regarding that. I started naming files plugin-name-UNZIP_BEFORE_UPLOAD.zip but it’s not helping a lot. I don’t know what to do :(

136 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Raspo says
TylerQuinn said

The same thing happens with wordpress themes.

An easy solution would be if we could provide a documentation online and put the plugin/theme only in the package.

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
TylerQuinn says
WebFactory said
TylerQuinn said
That’s a HUGE issue for us! We have at least one support request per day regarding that. I started naming files plugin-name-UNZIP_BEFORE_UPLOAD.zip but it’s not helping a lot. I don’t know what to do :(

Tell me about it! And then of course the first thing they do is give it 1 star and make 100 comments about how the plugin is broken and the world is over lol…

I try to add the information to all of the FAQ sections but no one really seems to read them. There should be a links or subtext somewhere on the download page to read the FAQs before posting comments / reviews / asking for help.

3468 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Personally I think download.zip = plugin.zip is the way to go. I don’t see a need for PSDs most of the time, so the only “extra” in there is the documentation. Savvy users can just remove the documentation files, while the users that don’t even check what they’re uploading won’t have any issues. win-win :)

by
by
by
by
by
by