34 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Design_Mania says

Hi,

I would like to ask for you opinion about WordPress theming.

What do you think is better, to have Responsive Theme where all the Styles & JS for the resolutions are loaded at the same time OR to have 2 themes Desktop & Mobile and just to switch between them according to the device?

144 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FamousThemes says

Hi,

Depends on your needs.

If you want to have exactly the same website, content and design available for both mobile and desktop, go with the responsive wordpress theme.

If you want to have on mobile version a lighter content, diferent layout (but the same identity) go with a separate mobile version.

Generally we saw that huge websites, with a lot of content, go with separate versions, and allow users to swich to desktop view when they want, adding a link in the footer/header with “switch to desktop”

So if your website is not huge, you can build it responsive.

Hope this helps. It’s just our personal perspective.

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
tokopress says

Google now recommends Responsive Design… ;)

Check this, https://developers.google.com/webmasters/smartphone-sites/

34 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Design_Mania says

Thank you for you replies!

I know that both options have their pros and cons. I was just going around TF and I notice that most of the WP themes they have responsive design.

Right now I have to update my theme and to add mobile support and I was just wondering with which option to go Responsive or Separate theme. I still wonder because if you have separate theme you can make the site for mobile devices 2 times faster but than you have a bit discomfort managing 2 themes

58 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
asifnm7 says

I have also seen that google recommends responsive but they don’t seem to be (at least for now) marking down separate mobile sites. As has already been said above it depends mainly on the content, if you have a simple 5 page site with basic content then go responsive, if you have 100 pages then you have to realise that a typical mobile user will not want to crawl through tha,t so in that case a separate mobile site is better. Also look at what you expect from the visitor; do you want them to simply have your details to hand so that they can contact you directly from their phone, if you do then you do not have to go into thousands of words.

by
by
by
by
by
by