4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
assetshorman says

Hi, I am a web developer and used to work in Dreamweaver only without using any frameworks. I am used to start every website with “old methods” such as creating html and css files and coding everything from a beginning. It takes a while and I cannot work on same stuff every time I start a new website. Using Wordpress would be a great way for me to accelerate my web development process and will provide more structured content. I would like to learn how I can build websites and themes such as this great examples: http://flatsome.uxthemes.com

http://demo.pixelentity.com/?visia

Could you help me with providing needed tutorials, useful information? How do you structure website? is it posts on pages or widgets on pages or mix of everything? I can’t decide if I shall go to a page and start writing like
<div><h3>About us</h3><p>Here is information about me and I want to be a super hero in wordpress. Please help me out</p>

Thank you very much!
Just want to be another wordpress hero! :)</div>
3676 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

it depends on what you mean by “build websites and themes”.

If you mean buy themes or use a WP framework and just create sites based on the features there then you will be able to create pages using either shortcodes, elements or visual type editor or by adding custom HTML code in the individual page editor as well as modifying the CSS or JS aspects.

If you mean to actually build these themes from scratch then I hate to break it to you but this will take a lot longer than your HTML sites. It will require the same stylesheet, CSS, JS implementation as well as writing the PHP for page templates etc and that is before you start looking at integrating any option panels or custom elements etc.

You could look at using a WP framework which gives you the core parts and then built that up each time styling it to look like you require but again it really comes down to what you are trying to achieve at the end of it as even in its simplest format WP development is generally considered more complicated and time consuming than simple HTML and CSS. You can look here http://wp.tutsplus.com/ for insight and training in WP development.

Hope that helps

4 posts
assetshorman says

Thank you for the detailed response. Let me break it down into few small questions. for example: http://demo.pixelentity.com/?visia has a section “Our Works”. Did the person go to that particular page and added code into the input text as if you would put a paragraph? or it was created differently (like a div, or some sort of plugin)?

(Note explains above text: If you have “News” page then every post will appear as a news post. But if you have a page like “Our Works” then how do you add different content (pics, audio, different formation/css) in it and keep it up?)

3676 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

If I understand you correctly (and anyone feel free to correct me if I have this wrong):

- the author (who by the way is one of the biggest and best on here) has the style sheet in place for the theme.

- they then created the PHP for the “portfolio” section/template

- then each of the detailed infos are created in PHP as individual types that can be assigned to each item.

Almost like blog POST types BUT “PORTFOLIO” types.

Buyers can then assign the desired type to each portfolio item from within the WP back end – hence why as I mentioned before the dynamics of achieving this is more complicated than simple HTML/CSS

4 posts
assetshorman says

Dearest Charlie, Thank you for such a great response! The last 2 points (template and individual type) are the answers I’ve been looking for. I guess now I understand what’s going on. So he basically constructed everything from a scratch (i mean sections and templates for particular parts of the website)?Is there any tutorial on this you particularly aware of?

Again, Thank you soooo much!!! :)

3676 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says
by
by
by