82 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Located in United States
neruda says

Quick questions:

1. Has anyone heard of a problem with submenus not dropping down for android users on WordPress Sites?

2. Would (should) a WordPress theme even get approved if it doesn’t work on Android devices?

Basically I spent several days setting up a theme I purchased only to realize it doesn’t work on Android devices.

I Contacted the author who told me that “he didn’t test his theme on the android platform.”

I’ve got too much work into setting up this theme to switch to something else…sucks!

:stress:

371 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
QwibbleDesigns says

Currently I don’t think it is something that should be required, these themes are not designed to be used on mobile devices, unless they say they come with a mobile version. However, with tablets etc becoming more and more popular, I think it’s something that could be more important in the future.

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Currently I don’t think it is something that should be required, these themes are not designed to be used on mobile devices, unless they say they come with a mobile version. However, with tablets etc becoming more and more popular, I think it’s something that could be more important in the future.

Correct.

82 posts
neruda says

Wow,

I have bought a lot of themes here and this is a first. I guess I will chalk this up to a learning experience and just try to find a solution.

Thanks…

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

It would be great if this could be added to the template’s features. So for example, in addition to “Compatible Browsers”, it also says something like “Works on IOS and Android: yes/no”. I know this is a pain for authors but people need templates that work on mobile devices these days so this information is sort of important.

49 posts we create games and things we love
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
wegrass says

Another solution is changing the menu to drop-down select box : http://css-tricks.com/convert-menu-to-dropdown/

Hope this helps :)

3446 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

One thing to note is that on Android, you have to swipe downwards to activate the hover event, rather than tap like on iOS. Most standard menus triggered by a hover event should work with this method (I’ve done a lot of experimenting with this for my own plugins).

Unfortunately, I don’t think most authors have the ability to test on all devices (not feasible, not in the budget). For example, I’ve purchased iOS and Android devices to test on, but I don’t have any intention of getting a Windows mobile device. In the future, I would recommend testing the demo using devices for which you need compatibility, or choosing products that explicitly list those devices/OSes as compatible. Not sure there’s a better solution at the moment :(

wegrass’s suggestion solution is a good one if your site is responsive :)

82 posts
neruda says

One thing to note is that on Android, you have to swipe downwards to activate the hover event, rather than tap like on iOS. Most standard menus triggered by a hover event should work with this method (I’ve done a lot of experimenting with this for my own plugins).

Thanks for sharing this info. You are absolutely right….it worked. Most people are not going to know they have to do that. Sounds like there is no easy way of getting around it. This has been a learning experience and I appreciate everyones comments.

by
by
by
by
by
by