3 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
Saxamo says

Hello There,

I would really like to get a decent blog ( simple ) wordpress theme. Something like I have now: www.saxamo.com However, it has come to my attention that you never know if the developer is going to disappear, update their stuff. I mean, we make changes, you make changes and then when an update comes out it craps out all our changes. Any chance that there is a way around this? I just want to make sure my site is secure, up to date, things work as specified without hacking all the time.. Not sure if the update that does come out is going to kill all my individual changes or not.. Who can we trust to be here as long as we are and support their stuff. I know people do support things here, but getting help is sometimes.. wow… and links to individual forums that never send password information are ridiculous..

I need help.. I need a legit, loyal developer that I can count on.. Can anyone point any ONE person out?

Kind regards, Saxamo

177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

Hi Saxamo,

Most wordpress themes these days come with enough customization built into the theme options or any other back end style editor. These sorts of customizers and theme options save the options to your sites database. So the only time you will lose changes if you go and edit php files directly and upload them over the other files.

If you are worried about making those sorts of changes and losing them, check the theme change log (at the bottom said theme profile page). If it tells you which files have been updated, just update those files.

But for the most part, you wont ever lose your changes as most / if not all changes are stored in your database.

EDIT / PS: any author who has a badge of 10,000 + should be reliable. If you want to be super sure just stick with power elites or elites.

616 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

Visualkicks is right, but no matter what everyone says over here – every author can disappear. Every author has the right to stop and remove their items.

Is your site th├ít important to you and you want to be very very very sure you can always fall back to the creators: Go find a good company to create it for you. You can forget the 40 bucks though but you’ll be sure to have service if the company is any good.

Point is:

- Can you expect to get decent support from a good author: Yes, mostly up to a certain level of usage support.

- Can yo demand decent support and lifetime guarantee of an author: Never.

Don’t forget: you pay 40 to 60 bucks, it’s a stock market.

Like Visualkicks said – you can sometimes see if an author is any good. Check their comments to see if they’ll always reply etc. Do NOT always believe the one start ratings since their mainly from undecent people wanting a complete redesign for free ( people who think they own the author’s life for 40 bucks ).

Bottom line – if you look close you’ll see if you can trust an author. For a lifetime? Well that’s something no one can guarantee :)

177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

Very true chapter!

I often forget just how little people pay for the time that goes into the products here. The web development company I used work for offered great support, clients had their own account manager, 24 hour on call staff, 99.99% uptime, email campaigns, active SEO management packs… etc etc..

But for 1 hour of the companies time it costs $120. Which is a lot i know, but you can find other great web design / development companies for around $80-90 and hour that would do a fantastic job. They don’t always need to do the full job either, we had clients send in html templates for us to work our magic on. Which is a good way to cut on costs.

If you want real support and 10+ years commitment that might be an avenue you would be interested in sax. Buy html templates from here, pay a company to do the rest.

PS. im in australia.. where everything is about 20 bucks more then america.

571 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

There are plenty of v serious and reliable developers on here BUT given the nature and terms and conditions of the marketplace there is no guarantee at all times.

If you want continuous long term support with the upmost guarantee of support and updates then you are best going to a private professional web development agency. While yes it will cost more it is the nature of “you get what you pay for”.

3 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United States
Saxamo says

Thanks everyone for the positive responses.. I appreciate that and just goes to confirm my belief not only in the developers but in the community.. Thanks again for the great information.

Kind regards, Saxamo

by
by
by
by
by
by