• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

This is great, cheers – sounds like what I’m after.

I’ll check the other suggestions as well. I think that since i’ve only ever done one install at a time I’ve not really had to think about this sort of thing, feel like a bit of an idiot asking lol.

116 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
dejans7 says

You’re right, I’m such a cheapskate lol. Final question then – do you have to do a new wordpress install for each theme, surely I can just have the themes seperately but looking at the same db?

I haven’t tested this but it should work :)

If you want to use same MySQL database for more Wordpress installations you should just change the table prefix.

“How can i do that”, i hear you asking :)

Well, the easiest way to do this is during installation. There is one field that says “Table prefix” and the default value is “wp_”. So for example if you want to have 3 wordpress installations on same DB, you will have different prefix for every installation, example:
wp1_
wp2_
wp3_

So first installation will have a table wp1_users, second will have table wp2_users etc.

But, as other guys mentioned, you can get some decent hosting with lots of (or unlimed) MySQL DBs for small amount of money and avoid all this stuff :)

454 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
Gareth_Gillman says

Hi Jeff, if you want unlimited mysql db’s then http://www.no-wires.net/hosting has that for £15 per year (GBP). I use them for my own website and currently have 8 wordpress installs on my server.

They do seem to have a bit of downtime lately so I have started moving my hosting over to http://www.vidahost.com who does 5 databases for £18 + Vat

The specs are worse but the support is 20x better and more reliable IMHO

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

Nice. Exactly what I was after cheers.

by