156 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

I’m wondering how you guys manage developing multiple wordpress themes locally. I’m using virtual hosts and it works great, but it’s a pain to create a new host, new wp install, and new db for every theme.

I know there are theme switchers available, but they force you to use the same content for every theme, which is not always possible.

So I thought the solution might be Wordpress MU, but I made the mistake of using the WPMU default kubrick theme as a base to work on, and it contains functions incompatible with the normal WP.

So next time I’ll take the default WP theme instead and it should work fine.

Do you guys use a similar setup ? Or do you use individual wp installs for every theme ?

156 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

Now of course I just realized that the default WP 2 .8 theme is not compatible with my install of WP MU , which is 2.7.1… grrrr…

80 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
+1 more
mads says

I know this is silly, but I prefer editing everything live on the server. I have a prefix for each of my themes in one database, and use different content for each theme. This ensures that what I experience is exactly what the user will.

I’ve tried multiple content populators, local setups, etc. but I’ve always found this method preferable.

by
by
by
by
by
by