• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
AdamGold says

Hi all. I am working on my new upcoming theme (actually 2, but just one of them is WP theme) and I was wondering – How do you develop your theme?

Until now I was just duplicating Twenty Ten’s files, erase most of the content and start implementing my theme. What’s your way? Do you have a specific framework you’re using? Or you just create a file after file?

Looking forward to hear your answers :)

3364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I’d avoid using TwentyTen’s files, it’s not a very good starting point for creating new themes.

The best way is to roll your own theme from scratch. Here is a good article to get you started: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-create-a-wordpress-theme-from-scratch/

There are a lot of good resources here as well: http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/top-50-wordpress-tutorials/

(Note that some info will be outdated with WP3 , but the basics still stand)

If you want a robust starting theme so you can hit the ground running, I’ve had a lot of success with the Thematic framework: http://themeshaper.com/ – it’ll teach you a lot about WordPress code and best practices, as well as get you familiar with the hooks (actions and filters) system, which will make you a WordPress ninja. It’s GPL , so you can use it as the foundation for your theme.

Good luck :)

Chris

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

I’d avoid using TwentyTen’s files, it’s not a very good starting point for creating new themes.

The best way is to roll your own theme from scratch. Here is a good article to get you started: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wordpress/how-to-create-a-wordpress-theme-from-scratch/

There are a lot of good resources here as well: http://net.tutsplus.com/articles/web-roundups/top-50-wordpress-tutorials/

(Note that some info will be outdated with WP3 , but the basics still stand)

If you want a robust starting theme so you can hit the ground running, I’ve had a lot of success with the Thematic framework: http://themeshaper.com/ – it’ll teach you a lot about WordPress code and best practices, as well as get you familiar with the hooks (actions and filters) system, which will make you a WordPress ninja. It’s GPL , so you can use it as the foundation for your theme.

Good luck :)

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks for the links but I already developed couple of wordpress themes, I am familiar with its functions, database and so but I just want to change my way in creating the theme, if you are able to understand me :) Plus I don’t think I am allowed to use Thematic framework in my themes here?

3364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

Hey Adam,

I understand – I’m just saying I think that most authors build their own framework from scratch (file by file). Those links are starting points for building that framework. I’m sure you understand all the basics that are explained in those articles, but I think they help lay out the file structure for you, so you won’t get restricted by how a particular theme is set up :) Keep in mind that TwentyTen is a theme, not a framework – it’s not built for extensibility.

And yes, you can use Thematic – like I said, it’s GPL :) So you can do anything you want with it.

To answer your questions at a personal level, my first theme was based on Thematic. I’m focusing on plugins right now, but for my next theme I’ll be rolling my own based on a lot of the techniques from Thematic (because it is so extensible).

Hope that helps!

Chris

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

Hey Adam,

I understand – I’m just saying I think that most authors build their own framework from scratch (file by file). Those links are starting points for building that framework. I’m sure you understand all the basics that are explained in those articles, but I think they help lay out the file structure for you, so you won’t get restricted by how a particular theme is set up :) Keep in mind that TwentyTen is a theme, not a framework – it’s not built for extensibility.

And yes, you can use Thematic – like I said, it’s GPL :) So you can do anything you want with it.

To answer your questions at a personal level, my first theme was based on Thematic. I’m focusing on plugins right now, but for my next theme I’ll be rolling my own based on a lot of the techniques from Thematic (because it is so extensible).

Hope that helps!

Chris

Okay, I think I will try out Thematic, but will it limit me to add as many features as I want? I mean, what does it do besides creating the base layout of the files?

Thank you very much!

3364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
+4 more

Best advice I can give you is to just install it and try it out. There are other “starter” themes out there as well, but the real strength of Thematic in my mind is its extensibility. i.e. You can completely customize the theme without ever editing the existing files (like I said previously, you’ll need to get used to action and filter hooks). What I like about it is that it provides you a full-fledged framework to start off with. Everything you need is there, and you can add or remove pieces as you wish. For example, it provides 13 widget areas – you can easily add more or remove those you don’t want (again with hooks), but if you don’t change anything you still have a fully functional widget system.

Certainly, this is only one options, and there are lots of solutions out there. I’d encourage you to try a few out and see what best fits your coding style – but for me Thematic was a great starting point and excellent way to learn WordPress techniques and best practices.

Chris

753 posts
  • Exclusive Author
AdamGold says

I am able to do these things by editing the files, but how do I do it without editing the files? Where can I learn how to do it? (would be even better if i could learn to do it with thematic)

88 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
DesignPuma says

I have question. Thematic is licenced under GPL , can I get some functions from Thematic and implement into my own framework? It is legal? :)

238 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ewizz says

I have question. Thematic is licenced under GPL , can I get some functions from Thematic and implement into my own framework? It is legal? :)

you can use any php from ANY wordpress theme (all php code is GPL ) and please don’t ask this question ever again…if someone else ask this, kick his a$$ :D

376 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • United States
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
GoodLayers says

Create from scratch is the best way.
You will have your own framework ;)