548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says

@duotive – It must be the hardest. I don’t mind flowplayer or jwplayer but I haven’t used either enough to know which is better or if a homegrown player is better. I’m assuming the homegrown player would be better since you could support it. Good luck with that though, I hope more people follow your lead.

On a side note, shouldn’t there be an extra charge for extra premium features like the ability to have a completely multimedia capable theme? For instance, If you add a video/audio (self hosted, multiple formats etc.) support all throughout your site and in the slider, why shouldn’t your theme automatically be a 40 dollar theme? Just sayin…

24 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
romu says

If you add a video/audio (self hosted, multiple formats etc.) support all throughout your site and in the slider, why shouldn’t your theme automatically be a 40 dollar theme? Just sayin…

you´re right. i´ve seen magento themes over here at $90 that provide less functionality.

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

Supporting WPML will increase your sales by almost 100% compared to the rest. The theme also has to be good though lol

1148 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
fillerspace says

@duotive – It must be the hardest. I don’t mind flowplayer or jwplayer but I haven’t used either enough to know which is better or if a homegrown player is better. I’m assuming the homegrown player would be better since you could support it. Good luck with that though, I hope more people follow your lead.

I have used Flowplayer in the past and it is my favorite player…very flexible and supports every format around, including self-hosted progressive download, and flash streaming RTMP . It is open-source, in case you want to change it around under the hood.

Back to the original topic, I think a theme should be very flexible as far as customizing the content, not necessarily cramming Dreamweaver into the Wordpress admin. What I mean by this is, have options to move things around, like putting the slideshow on the top or bottom, or choose 1 column, 2 column, 3 column, 4 column layouts for product/service showcase boxes on the home page, sidebar on the left/right/none and plenty of styled widgets to choose from (recent tweets, Flickr, recent posts, recent comments, calendar, contact us, map, social networking, etc.) that can be placed anywhere with a shortcode.

One cool feature I’ve seen in a few themes is an option to populate the database with the sample content from the demo. The demos always look so nice, but when you install the theme on a fresh Wordpress install, everything is blank. It is nice sometimes to start with everything looking complete, and just change the content around.

548 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
tonvie says

@filerspace, can you obtain a developer license for flowplayer so we don’t have to deal with their logo?

What do you think about putting SEO options in the admin panel? To me, I don’t know why any author bothers. There’s no way anyone is going to come up with something better than a plugin that already exists.

I just think sometimes the authors add things to help out the truly clueless. I know it probably helps their sales and I understand why they do it but seriously, why spend time cluttering your admin panel with stuff like SEO ?

I guess my point is if you know there’s a ton of plugins that do things better than anything you can put in your admin panel, why not put your efforts into other new features? Why not just mention handy plugins in your documentation? You don’t even have to include the actual plugin in your theme.

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

@filerspace, can you obtain a developer license for flowplayer so we don’t have to deal with their logo?

http://flowplayer.org/download/index.html

To remove the logo, the license for 1 domain is $95, 100 domains is $395, and unlimited is $1450. When I use it on client sites I just used the free version with FlowPlayer branding, though one client paid for the branding-free version himself. I think if you include it in a ThemeForest theme, you’d have to use the free version, and then the purchaser would have to upgrade it.

1148 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
fillerspace says

What do you think about putting SEO options in the admin panel? To me, I don’t know why any author bothers. There’s no way anyone is going to come up with something better than a plugin that already exists. I just think sometimes the authors add things to help out the truly clueless. I know it probably helps their sales and I understand why they do it but seriously, why spend time cluttering your admin panel with stuff like SEO ?

I agree…there are plugins that can do a better job, and you can pass on the duty to support it to those authors. Plus people can upgrade a plugin easier than they can update a theme in most cases.

The case where it would make sense it incorporate extra features are when they are absolutely essential to the theme, or when the plugin doesn’t exist. In the theme I’m about to submit this week, this is the case, as I could not find a single plugin that did exactly what I needed, and it was easier to just make it part of the theme than to require installation of 3 separate plugins.

24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
romu says

What I mean by this is, have options to move things around, like putting the slideshow on the top or bottom, or choose 1 column, 2 column, 3 column, 4 column layouts for product/service showcase boxes on the home page, sidebar on the left/right/none and plenty of styled widgets to choose from (recent tweets, Flickr, recent posts, recent comments, calendar, contact us, map, social networking, etc.) that can be placed anywhere with a shortcode.

nice statement. flexibility for sure. At this point, does someone could give me suggestions how to present a wordpress theme to the customer so he or she can change to different styles or grid layouts the template supports by any control panel (style/theme switcher). How you realize this?

by
by
by
by
by
by