• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

I’ve tried and tried and tried to get this theme approved over the last couple of weeks. Sadly, no joy.

I’ve been told its not “unique” enough and has “no direction”. These seem like odd things to say. Firstly it is quite different and bold. Secondly, what direction does it need, it’s clearly a portfolio website with ultimate control and very content-centric.

So my question to you fellow ThemeForesters is…

Would you buy this theme?

http://www.meanthemes.com/theme/resize/

Perhaps an overwhelming response in the yes column would persuade ThemeForest to approve it. If you don’t like it, please let me know why and I’ll add it to my “things to consider next theme” list.

Thanks in advance, I love you all!

474 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
rayoflightt says

I like your first approved theme more. It has better colors and typography.

Rejected one… I don’t like it because it’s too narrow like it is made only for small screens. And I don’t like blue border in menu. You have a good idea but in my opinion it is better achieved with your first theme.

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

Thanks rayoflight. That’s funny because i prefer it to the first theme. Your comments are certainly thought provoking, maybe I need to allow for more width on desktop.

474 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
rayoflightt says

maybe I need to allow for more width on desktop.

You definitely should because when I first saw your theme I tried to zoom-out my screen because it seemed to me like media queries have strange values. :D

189 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
mbudm says

Hi there,

I’m also grappling with what works and doesn’t work on TF so by all means feel free to ignore this, but what I immediately thought about was a TF buyer impression….

Use your imagined TF buyer voice,

“Content driven – wahh? So this theme relies on good content? Then what does this theme add?”

;-)

Seriously though – I like it. I often push for simple layouts and letting the message do the work but from the little I’ve read and sussed out around here – simple doesn’t sell.

My theory is that a lot of TF buyer are small web shops that are creating sites for their clients and bells and whistles and heavy feature sets seem to resonate. Also a lot of these clients are small business – so no time or budget for crafting awesome copy.

Sites that are driven by a solid marketing and comms plan (ie a bigger budget and as part of a multifaceted strategy) – are imho well suited to simple implementations. And those sorts of sites/projects/campaigns would more often than not be able to produce their own simple implementation.

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Perhaps an overwhelming response in the yes column would persuade ThemeForest to approve it. If you don’t like it, please let me know why and I’ll add it to my “things to consider next theme” list.

The beauty of the marketplaces is impartiality! Meaning, we can all SHOUT from the bottom of our lungs YES YES YES , if the reviewer thinks you can improve it, the final answer will still be no! :)

Part one , and part two, and part three! Remember, improving your skills is the goal, not developing new methods of bargaining or begging to be approved! :)

Personal note! You really, really, really, really, need to improve the page! Typography, white spaces, font size, color, icons, etc etc etc! There are so many reasons why the reviewer said no… so my personal opinion is that it’s good it wasn’t approved! It’s far from the standards of quality for a WordPress theme! :)

Note: these are my personal opinions as an individual member and author of this community and not representative of Envato Staff or the Envato Item Reviewers. My personal opinion does not guarantee the approval of this file for sale on the Envato Marketplaces.

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

Everyone, thank you for your feedback so far, let me make this clear, no one is begging here. I am merely trying to understand the reasons for rejection. I admit, I wrote a slightly cheeky thread to actually get a response. A lot of “I’ve been rejected, please help” threads never get a reply.

The link I posted above is actually the final outcome after following theme reviewers advice. It is not the direction I intended to go with the theme, but it seemed to be what the reviewers wanted. Obviously, I missed the mark as it was still rejected.

Anyway, that’s by the by, I’ve started on a new theme now, I’ll re-read all the information you’ve posted above and go through my own pre-review process to see if I can subjectively look at new themes through a reviewers eyes to try and soften the blow of a possible rejection.

I really do appreciate all of the feedback so far and I’ve been very complimentarily to the review team who I think do a sterling job – I understand how hard it can be for them.

1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

With all my past rejections I learned that in the end it does improve your item, that is all without any further philosophy :)

59 posts MeanThemes
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
+2 more
meanthemes says

Thanks Anps, I believe you are right, I also think my theme was never ever right for ThemeForest so have moved on to the next one which is going to be much more focused and function like an actual website rather than a ‘what you can have’ ‘place this here’ type framework.

Lots to learn, but having fun :)

303 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
BittLoader says

Don’t be angry if they have rejected your theme. Instead, you should see this as an opportunity to improve your skills. This helps you be better, learn more, do great themes, and in the end get more sales. One of my themes was rejected a few times, but i didn’t gave up, i have worked on it, and improved it and in the end it got approved and it got a lot of sales. Maybe if my theme would have been accepted from the first time, it wouldn’t have this number of sales. So, don’t give up! Improve, improve, improve and in the end you`ll get better!

by
by
by
by
by
by