101 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Speed730 says

if you are WordPress themes builder give me your opinion

today i was just wondering if the following wordpress theme protection function is good or bad idea :

a php function hook on WordPress theme activation and that will be trigger when the theme is activated return an input box to put your “Item Purchase Code” after that will verify the code on the author host server when is return true,

it will let the theme to be activated if not the theme will not be activated, i forget to mention this function will also verify if it’s on local host nothing will happen, guys i need your opinion if this function will help us to secure ENVATO WordPress themes from piracy,

waiting your opinion

74 posts e404 Themes
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
e404 says

There were a lot of topics about this kind of theme protection. I suppose this one will be locked soon. ;)

This kind of protection will annoy honest users, but experienced “pirates” will remove it in a few minutes.

101 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Speed730 says

e404 thank you for the quick replay, u have right it will annoy clients, i think it worth as u know envato wordpress themes are the highest themes on the web.

but as for the called experienced “pirates” how about this hook if the function is not exists wp_ajax send the IP address and the domain name and the email that wordpress installed with, to the author so can deal with that domain,

304 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
squaredWeb says

That ajax can be easily removed too plus you have a lot of people here who dont want their clients to know that they just sold them a 35$ theme with 2 hours of customizing work for 1000$, so those honest clients will remove that function as well before giving the theme to their clients, if they now forget to remove the ajax you will assume that client stole your theme, while he didnt. And this could result in a lot of embarresment and false accusations on both people. Guess who will never buy from you again.

101 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Speed730 says

That ajax can be easily removed too plus you have a lot of people here who dont want their clients to know that they just sold them a 35$ theme with 2 hours of customizing work for 1000$, so those honest clients will remove that function as well before giving the theme to their clients, if they now forget to remove the ajax you will assume that client stole your theme, while he didnt. And this could result in a lot of embarresment and false accusations on both people. Guess who will never buy from you again.
squaredWeb thanks, i really completely forget about the middle designers (freelancers) who work like this, i guess nothing from this can be helpful to proetct :(
812 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
iamthwee says

No in short, web software doesn’t function like software on a computer.

And is much more easy to circumvent protection procedures..

304 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
squaredWeb says

Personally of course i wish piracy could be avoided, but to be honest, it doesnt bother me that much. The way i see it its just the price we have to pay for the relative free internet we have today. If it would be possible to completely shut down piracy the internet would become a sad place because the sideeffects would be terrible.

And since people like orman clark, whos themes get stolen left and right, proove you can still make a ton of money with great work, i just like to focus on the positive sides (trying to create great stuff) instead of the negative ones.

3418 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Gonna have to shut down the p*racy discussion, guys (see forum rules), but yeah, this isn’t going to be worth it. I wouldn’t bother, you’ll lose more customers than you gain.

by
by
by
by
by
by