32 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
dyspersion says

Uggghhhh.

It sounds great on paper, but Envato doesn’t exactly have a good track record with implementing changes to the marketplace. And to make matters worse, you’re making this mandatory as of tomorrow?!? What?!? Why not give it a month and allow authors time to test it and metabolize it into their themes?

Also, being presented with simple spelling mistakes in comments when opening the functions file of the “toolkit library” (and, why is that the name? That’s a horrible name for a theme sample. It’s not a library at all!) doesn’t inspire confidence that you’ve dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s on this.

Overall, it sounds great. But I have huge concerns.

604 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

We now have a plugin for WordPress that will show you when a theme you’ve purchased from ThemeForest has an update available. You can then choose to automatically download and install the update. Even better than that though, the plugin will show you all the WordPress themes you’ve purchased on ThemeForest, and allow you to install them too.

Doesn’t this violate the license?

If I buy ten themes and install the plugin on ten sites won’t it appear that I can use install all themes on all sites? In reality you need 100 licences.

Seems like this will cause confusion. Buyers already don’t have to disclose the URL of their project so authors can verify legitimate license usage. I think this needs more thought.

321 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
squaredWeb says

Edit: nvm

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

It sounds great on paper, but Envato doesn’t exactly have a good track record with implementing changes to the marketplace. And to make matters worse, you’re making this mandatory as of tomorrow?!? What?!? Why not give it a month and allow authors time to test it and metabolize it into their themes?

Thanks for your feedback! The WordPress Theme ZIP file has been available on ThemeForest for at least 6 months now for authors to test and metabolize into their themes, as mentioned in the post over 25% of authors have done so already. Now we’re finally just flicking the switch to make it a mandatory field, so we can roll out this toolkit to provide updates etc.

Also, being presented with simple spelling mistakes in comments when opening the functions file of the “toolkit library” (and, why is that the name? That’s a horrible name for a theme sample. It’s not a library at all!) doesn’t inspire confidence that you’ve dotted all the i’s and crossed all the t’s on this.

Sorry about the grammatical error there in the comments of the functions.php file. You’ll be pleased to know that we’ve fixed it up :)

Also, the name “Envato WordPress Toolkit Library” is because that code is a PHP library to be used when developing themes, that also contains a very basic theme usage example. It isn’t a theme sample, it’s merely a usage example for the library itself, as indicated in the readme.txt file.

Overall, it sounds great. But I have huge concerns.

We’re glad to hear you’re ultimately positive about this, and we hope to reinforce that as time goes on. If you have huge concerns, we’d like to hear them so we can address them.

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Japan
halogenic says

Here’s step by step process to repeat the error

1. Go to this page https://github.com/envato/envato-wordpress-toolkit
  2. Download zip plugin
  3. Unzip the file “envato-envato-wordpress-toolkit-v1.1-0-gaeb6ed1.zip”
  4. Rename the folder from “envato-envato-wordpress-toolkit-aeb6ed1” to “envato-wordpress-toolkit”
  5. Upload the folder to my Wordpress “wp-content/plugins” directory
  6. Login to WordPress Admin “http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php” (WP version 3.3.1)
  7. Activate “Envato WordPress Toolkit”
  8. Go to the Envato Admin panel in Wordpress “http://www.mysite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=envato-wordpress-toolkit”
  9. Enter my Marketplace username and API Key (I generated a new key)
  10. Hit “Save User Settings”
  11. Returns error “ERROR: options page not found.”
103 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
DenonStudio Envato team says

@halogenic, thanks for a comprehensive report. We have identified the problem and there will be an update available shortly.

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

We now have a plugin for WordPress that will show you when a theme you’ve purchased from ThemeForest has an update available. You can then choose to automatically download and install the update. Even better than that though, the plugin will show you all the WordPress themes you’ve purchased on ThemeForest, and allow you to install them too.

If I buy ten themes and install the plugin on ten sites won’t it appear that I can use install all themes on all sites? In reality you need 100 licences.

Seems like this will cause confusion. Buyers already don’t have to disclose the URL of their project so authors can verify legitimate license usage. I think this needs more thought.

Hey GravityDept, the plugin itself does not violate the license in any way. As it has always been, it is a user’s responsibility to ensure they do not install a WordPress theme on more sites than they have license to do so. That still applies, whether they are using this plugin or not.

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

Hey GravityDept, the plugin itself does not violate the license in any way. As it has always been, it is a user’s responsibility to ensure they do not install a WordPress theme on more sites than they have license to do so. That still applies, whether they are using this plugin or not.

But then, if someone shares his login and API key with 20 people they will all have access to all themes purchased with this account. I suppose this is one of the reasons for 50 downloads limit for each file on Envato marketplaces? Or does the 50 downloads limit apply here too?

Anyways, I’m glad you guys finally made it, I’ve been waiting for this feature for a long time! Now we only have to market this tool – possibly on the downloads page! :)

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

But then, if someone shares his login and API key with 20 people they will all have access to all themes purchased with this account. I suppose this is one of the reasons for 50 downloads limit for each file on Envato marketplaces? Or does the 50 downloads limit apply here too? Anyways, I’m glad you guys finally made it, I’ve been waiting for this feature for a long time! Now we only have to market this tool – possibly on the downloads page! :)

It would certainly be a good idea to keep your API key to yourself and think carefully about how you use these tools. Also, keep in mind that you can generate separate API keys, and revoke them if necessary, to maintain security and control.

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

But then, if someone shares his login and API key with 20 people they will all have access to all themes purchased with this account. I suppose this is one of the reasons for 50 downloads limit for each file on Envato marketplaces? Or does the 50 downloads limit apply here too? Anyways, I’m glad you guys finally made it, I’ve been waiting for this feature for a long time! Now we only have to market this tool – possibly on the downloads page! :)
It would certainly be a good idea to keep your API key to yourself and think carefully about how you use these tools. Also, keep in mind that you can generate separate API keys, and revoke them if necessary, to maintain security and control.

Japh, look at my badges, I’m an author, I know about all this stuff and I won’t pirate my own themes. I’m talking about the same people that ‘share’ our themes on warez sites.

by
by
by
by
by
by