145 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
zun1989 says

Hello guys, I am having a bit of a problem. Recently i was thinking about creating a portfolio site for work purpose (no coding experience). After going through many posts in forum and checking out many wordpress themes here. I chose some themes. And decided to download it.

But as i was checking out the forum, i saw a guy complaining about wordpress.com being different to wordpress.org. That confused me abit.

Basically, i thought that i would buy a theme. And then buy the premium option from wordpress.com which i believe will allow me to use my custom theme, if i am not mistaking.

Now suddenly this wordpress.org came along. And i checked out their helpfile.

They are saying that wordpress.org is for those who wish to use custom theme.

So now i am absolutely confused :0. As i dont have any coding experience. So this is really confusing me. And i would be really be glad if someone can help me out.

My targets are basically :

1) Setting my portfolio site! 2) Blog abit i guess

So what should i get?

Premium wordpress.com package.

Or should i check out wordpress.org

332 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

WordPress.com = rent a car

WordPress.org = get a car

You choose.

556 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
kriskorn says

Hello zun1989,

On WordPress.com you can’t upload your own custom theme, but you can choose from their premium themes. From WordPress.org you can download WordPress cms and upload it to your own server and use a custom theme from Themeforest. The choice is yours.

All the best, Kris

73 posts StrictThemes
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+3 more
StrictThemes says

From WordPress.org you can download WordPress cms and upload it to your own server…

Or use one of hundreds hosts with pre-installed WordPress.

145 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

Hello zun1989,

On WordPress.com you can’t upload your own custom theme, but you can choose from their premium themes. From WordPress.org you can download WordPress cms and upload it to your own server and use a custom theme from Themeforest. The choice is yours.

All the best, Kris

What about the wordpress.com premium option, i guess i read somewhere they allow to install custom themes.

So basically if i buy themes from themeforest then i need to use wordpress.org for that.

3565 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

What about the wordpress.com premium option, i guess i read somewhere they allow to install custom themes.

Nope, you didn’t read good.. You can only use their premium themes, not other ones..

So basically if i buy themes from themeforest then i need to use wordpress.org for that.

Yes, you need the WordPress package, but you also need to setup your own hosting, etc..

145 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

Nope, you didn’t read good.. You can only use their premium themes, not other ones..

Yes, you need the WordPress package, but you also need to setup your own hosting, etc..

Sorry to bother you again. If i had to go through so many trouble then how is wordpress better than normal website.

Lets say i just buy a domain and set up a website old fashioned way.

Sorry for the questions, but i just dont know much about these things.

353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

why don’t you go to wordpress.com and create your own web site to play around with and learn about what wordpress.com can do and what it cannot do. it’s free so no cost to you. you will soon learn what the restrictions of this choice are and then you can decide what to do about it.

thousands of people use wordpress.com so it suits the needs of many people, perhaps it will for you too, at least temporarily. then when you have learned how to play around with wordpress, you can buy your own site and hosting to accommodate your own wordpress site. your decision.

you cannot use the themes for sale on TF on wordpress.com, you do need to have your own site to do that but use wordpress.com to learn and then jump into buying themes and putting them up on your own site. of course, as mentioned before, there are themes for sale on wordpress.com that are usable on wordpress.com only.

have fun

Al

3565 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Sorry to bother you again. If i had to go through so many trouble then how is wordpress better than normal website. Lets say i just buy a domain and set up a website old fashioned way.

Didn’t you say in your first post that you have no coding experience? How do you know to setup a website “old fashioned” way if you don’t know HTML/CSS?

WordPress is a CMS.. It’s not trouble at all..

145 posts
+1 more
zun1989 says

Sorry to bother you again. If i had to go through so many trouble then how is wordpress better than normal website. Lets say i just buy a domain and set up a website old fashioned way.

Didn’t you say in your first post that you have no coding experience? How do you know to setup a website “old fashioned” way if you don’t know HTML/CSS?

WordPress is a CMS.. It’s not trouble at all..

By setup i meant to say get the website done then upload it in server. I meant the basic way which all people do. Like get the coding done by a coder and then upload the site by buying a hosting service i guess. This is basically the usual way people do. So my question was why wordpress then? But i found some articles on the advantage of wordpress though, so i dont think it needs to be answered.

And i dont know much about coding, though i used internet tutorials to learn html but those are not enough to create beautiful sites. Plus as i like designing, i thought its better to stick to designing and let the ones who are good with coding do their job. Some are good at both.

by
by
by
by
by
by