WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

7534 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

It looks to me that many authors lose too much time replying to certain users with no story on the forum except this thread and this argument.

725 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

@doru u r virtuoso :D

5357 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

what ? you killllllllllllllllled my brain :sick:

lol to be honest I can’t follow some of those long posts. Maybe I just have ADD :P

@Caldazar What’s your interest in debating this with us? What I mean is, you don’t seem to be an author, you don’t appear to be a buyer, so why do you care so much about ThemeForest? Is it safe to say that you’re someone from the WordPress pack? And if so, why not just tell us who you are? Trust me, no one here will care :P

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Quite honestly, i don’t get what’s left to debate here. Collis said 100% GPL themes will be possible and that will solve the wordcamp issue. Other authors will just keep releasing under the split license

6023 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Quite honestly, i don’t get what’s left to debate here. Collis said 100% GPL themes will be possible and that will solve the wordcamp issue. Other authors will just keep releasing under the split license

+1. The only useful discussion from this point may be analyzing after-effects of 100% GPL within the marketplace. Collis said, it would apply not only for WP but all other open source that comes under GPL.

667 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Collis said there will be a survey. I find this thread still valuable as I’ve changed my mind several times on the importance of the option Matt proposes, become an option here.

That said, it’s so easy to get sucked into endless debates. Better do stuff instead :)

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

I’m still not sure you guys are aware of the relationship between WordPress and you: They give, you take – free. They owe you nothing. That’s where every discourse about ethics has to start, if you want one.

C’mon, we’re giving back a lot of new ideas to the wordpress community. For example Automattic’s “Confit” restaurant theme was inspired by our “Ristorante” theme sold here ;)

41 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Caldazar says

I’m still not sure you guys are aware of the relationship between WordPress and you: They give, you take – free. They owe you nothing. That’s where every discourse about ethics has to start, if you want one.
C’mon, we’re giving back a lot of new ideas to the wordpress community. For example Automattic’s “Confit” restaurant theme was inspired by our “Ristorante” theme sold here ;)
I never said otherwise.

Maybe I put too much into one post but I mean what I write and nothing else. For example “That’s where every discourse about ethics has to start” means just that, and not that it is the endpoint of said discourse.

But honestly, I’ll stop here, as I neither want to make you feel being trolled nor am I going to waste my and your time trying to walk on eggs.

7534 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

...being trolled nor am I going to waste my and your time trying to walk on eggs.

man you really know your craft don’t you. :) like throwing a subtle insult here and there. I already know that you are just trolling, you had your fun, but this should be your last post I read where you insult this marketplace and your community

Just for who did not get it, no one here “is walking on eggs”, we did nothing wrong, we don’t need to explain anything.

667 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Typps says

@caldazar: you have a unique interpretation of the GPL shared by no one else but you. We’re not the ones making demands, wordcamp is. There is no way on God’s green earth that we are at fault here. There is no circumstance under which this marketplace has to bend to wordcamps requests.

The current survey that you see is actually coming from the kindness of our hearts and if the survey is positive towards GPL, then a gift this community makes to wordcamp (not vice versa). Your simply not helping wordcamp in this regard as there will be a survey soon, just a heads up ^^

Back to topic, after what I’ve read so far in this thread, it’s clear that; anybody that tries to extend a license beyond it’s reasonable or lawful capacity is only interested in controlling markets and halting competition, instead of giving users freedom!

And just so we are clear, it doesn’t matter what the spirit of the GPL says, if you’re not bound by the GPL. The binding happens only through contract or copyright i.e. creating a derivative piece of work. Since it has been concluded that css/js/image assets aren’t derivative, it’s perfectly well within your rights to license these any way you see fit.

Nothing the spirit of the GPL says matters, it has no power.

by
by
by
by
by
by