WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Just to clarify, this survey was already scheduled as part of the new licensing rollout, regardless of the GPL issue. Some questions surrounding GPL were added due to community feedback, though.

so is this why the survey kicked me out when I’ve naively chose “I’m not a themeforest author” option?

Or maybe envato needs answer about licenses only from themeforest authors? Because, last time I’ve checked those licenses apply to all authors on all marketplaces.

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
ait says

I really don’t get Wordpress point of view, so they want great plugins but that authors give for free? We need to make a living in the end of the day :P
Just to clarify: When they talk about “free”, they’re talking about freedom, not price.

Yes that’s absolutely true, but it’s also freedom to copy our work and resell or share it for free.

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

I really don’t get Wordpress point of view, so they want great plugins but that authors give for free? We need to make a living in the end of the day :P
Just to clarify: When they talk about “free”, they’re talking about freedom, not price.
Yes that’s absolutely true, but it’s also freedom to copy our work and resell or share it for free.

I believe I covered that when I wrote “freedom.”

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Just to clarify, this survey was already scheduled as part of the new licensing rollout, regardless of the GPL issue. Some questions surrounding GPL were added due to community feedback, though.

so is this why the survey kicked me out when I’ve naively chose “I’m not a themeforest author” option?

Or maybe envato needs answer about licenses only from themeforest authors? Because, last time I’ve checked those licenses apply to all authors on all marketplaces.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that these changes will effect all marketplaces though.

6025 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Both ThemeForest and CodeCanyon has surveys as most of the questions related to developer’s interests.

by
by
by
by
by
by