WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Caldazar says

GPL may sound good at first time but it actually acts like virus, force everything it touches to be GPL and you have no way to monetize GPL code or related assets, effectively make it “a wolf in sheep clothing”.
I somehow feel the urge to provoke a ban before even having submitted my first application here.

I feel worse about envato being a wise choice to do business with by the hour.

412 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
mitdralla says

GPL may sound good at first time but it actually acts like virus, force everything it touches to be GPL and you have no way to monetize GPL code or related assets, effectively make it “a wolf in sheep clothing”.

wow

1716 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
gbs says

TNW article quoted Matt:

...we wish Envato would give their authors the ability to do the same rather than protecting their commercial interest under the guise of protecting their authors.

Personally I think this has nothing to do with banning ThemeForest authors from WordCamp activities. Even if Envato ever gives authors the GPL options then it’s authors’ rights to make decision. Banning authors to WordCamp just to make pressure on Envato is not a wise move.

897 posts Community Officer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Community Ambassador
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+4 more
Carmen Staff says

Hi guys, Let’s try to remain respectful of each other’s opinions and do our best to be diplomatic when discussing licensing. It can be a fairly hot topic for many people. :)

If you would like to read Collis’s take on the situation you can read it here.

41 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Caldazar says

Ok, Collis feels “we have a license that is both respectful and 100% GPL compliant”. That’s true in a legal sense as far as I can tell, but it definitely isn’t, regarding the spirit of the GPL, which actually is the more important part and the one this issue is all about.

Now WordPress happens to strongly suppport the spirit of the GPL. It’s not just some peripheral legal thing but central: You can’t say WordPress without saying GPL.

Still, up to now, everything is fine. Until you choose to represent the spirit of WordPress and by that the spirit of the GPL. It’s not about using it, attending meetings or whatever; it’s about representing.

By doing this while selling themes on Envato, you’d send a mixed message at best. More probably you’d reduce the the GPL in the eyes of unaware attendees to ‘just another legalistic licencing thing’, which actually is just the hack to get the real message about cooperating in freedom through, while operating in a proprietary environment.

I see no way how any organization that takes the GPL seriously could possibly give in just an inch of that slippery slope by tolerating such ‘dancing on two weddings at the same time’

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

So here’s what I don’t get. If a theme is 100% GPL I can just buy a copy and sell it somewhere else right? Why would a stock author ever agree to that?

I think some stock authors may choose this option if they truly want their theme to be 100% GPL. Buyers would choose to pay for the GPL theme here so that they could receive support and updates from the seller. If a buyer didn’t want future updates or support (or anything else the seller promises to provide to verified buyers) then the buyer could go elsewhere and possibly get a free legal copy of the theme. All very complicated. I personally am happy with how the current licence model is because it works for me financially.

I have never attended a wordcamp and not sure I ever will. I like WP but not really a fanboy. So this entire thing just feels a bit childish and he-says-she-says to me.

Hopefully they resolve something soon! :)

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
StudioFidelity says

This entire argument sounds incredibly juvenile from the side of WordPress. Envato has YOUR best interest in mind here, people. Why some authors (or any developer who makes a living from WordPress) are bashing the split license is shocking to say the least. It’s fully GPL compliant while also protecting authors. WordPress needs to loosen their sphincter.

”...the author’s PHP component and integrated HTML are covered by the GPL, as WordPress requires, while “the rest of the components created by the author (such as the CSS, images, graphics, design, photos, etc) are covered by the marketplace license,” which is intended to protect the author’s copyright.”

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/23/wordpress-org-bans-themeforest-authors-from-participating-in-official-wordcamp-gatherings/
306 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
brainbuzzmedia says

So… Let me get this straight. Because WooThemes is 100% GPL compliant, I could buy a membership for access to all their themes and then start my own website called WhewThemes and resell all their themes for half price?

Can anyone give me a clear yes or not on this, because I have a plan..

506 posts
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
kriskorn says

So… Let me get this straight. Because WooThemes is 100% GPL compliant, I could buy a membership for access to all their themes and then start my own website called WhewThemes and resell all their themes for half price? Can anyone give me a clear yes or not on this, because I have a plan..
Yes.
306 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
brainbuzzmedia says

Oh wait, it is a thing.

[link removed]

Yeah, that’s an excellent and responsible business decision Collis, why won’t you let X% of Themeforest’s authors all end up in a $15 bundle sold on a external website that has contributed absolutely nothing to someone else’s work? Because after all, it’s in the spirit of the GPL.

by
by
by
by
by
by