WordPress.org bans Themeforest members from participating in official WordCamp gatherings

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

I’m still don’t know what’s problem the wordpress said. :D
are wordpress creator require market to share % profit ????

894 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
infuse01 says

Maybe not the best way to contribute to this discussion but I believe everything important has just been said and I simply want to show you which image I had in mind as I first read that TF Authors are blacklisted on attending to speak on WordCamps,...

:)

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Oh wait, it is a thing. [link removed]
ROFL!! $4,550 worth of themes for $15 :D

you guys act like that doesnt happen anyways….. GPL or not isnt going to stop people from misusing themes

169 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
ait says

you guys act like that doesnt happen anyways….. GPL or not isnt going to stop people from misusing themes

The difference is if they do it legally or not. If you release your theme under GPL, anybody can legally resell or publish it for free.

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

The difference is if they do it legally or not. If you release your theme under GPL, anybody can legally resell or publish it for free.

Yes I understand licensing ;-), my point is it doesnt matter whether its GPL or not the same thing is being done and as theres not international protection its being done “legally” which is why it so hard to use DCMA against some of those site because there is no legally standing.

part of it is, if I were to submit a “woo” theme here, yeah I might make some sales but TF may take it down, authors would leave horrible comments on the item etc… but it would be legal, I just wouldn’t go far in the community and eventually buyers would stop

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Typps says

Yes I understand licensing ;-), my point is it doesnt matter whether its GPL or not the same thing is being done and as theres not international protection its being done “legally” which is why it so hard to use DCMA against some of those site because there is no legally standing.

part of it is, if I were to submit a “woo” theme here, yeah I might make some sales but TF may take it down, authors would leave horrible comments on the item etc… but it would be legal, I just wouldn’t go far in the community and eventually buyers would stop

Your point is moot. There is a huge difference between you licensing your product as just GPL or using the split licensing. The fact that people will misuse your licensing is a completely different subject matter and illegal to say the least.

DMCA is also taken quite seriously and you have minimal recourse tools at your disposal. It’s quite effective contrary to what you may think. Going the GPL route, you don’t get this as you are already willingly giving away your code.

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

DMCA has no legal standing outside the US and countries it has copyright treaties with.

669 posts
+1 more
Typps says

DMCA has no legal standing outside the US and countries it has copyright treaties with.

That’s quite irrelevant. When you license your code using the split licensing, you are not making your code public. People don’t have the right to take it and use it without having purchased that right. People misusing your code does not make your code FOSS.

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

Umm your code is public. With split licensing all php is GPL… Ie I can buy any theme replace the js CSS and images and resell it 100% legally

Also all licensing terms only with hold in countries which obey those laws , if you live in a country that doesn’t the licensing terms are moot

100% GPL doesn’t mean you cannot sell it

Btw this part of the discussion need to stop on the forums, it promotes bad practice

669 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Umm your code is public. With split licensing all php is GPL… Ie I can buy any theme replace the js CSS and images and resell it 100% legally

Also all licensing terms only with hold in countries which obey those laws , if you live in a country that doesn’t the licensing terms are moot

100% GPL doesn’t mean you cannot sell it

Btw this part of the discussion need to stop on the forums, it promotes bad practice

Replacing assets ? It appears we are making progress. Those assets are what get protected by the split licensing. This is a good thing. Those assets actually make a huge difference.

If you had gone GPL there is nothing to replace.

I agree, we shouldn’t be discussing this here and we’ve derailed from the original purpose of the post :)

by
by
by
by
by
by