859 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says

Yeah ever since Apple started putting them in their computers I’ve been waiting for prices to come down. They’re definitely awesome, but I think a bit overpriced at the moment.

859 posts Nicely done
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says
145 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
VidnoaDesign says

hmmmm. i think it will be perfect . i will buy an ssd (:

175 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
adintermedia says

An interesting video to go along with this topic: http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/15/27-inch-imac-core-i7-with-ssd-is-fastest-mac-ever/

Hi i just bought the new imac 27” i7 but without and ssd because i think they’re quite overpriced by apple as you said. Of course the ssd brings you a lot of speed improvement but i think this mostly matters when it comes to open programs or start the pc. For rendering a Raid 0 array works very good, so in my case i spent some of the money a ssd would have cost on Ram which i think is more important. Just Sharing my process :)

5171 posts
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I’d be interested to find out how SSDs perform in the real world. Whether they make a difference over RAIDs.

For After Effects, fast disk access isn’t exactly critical for most motion graphics work. There’s not a lot of files being read in, but there’s a lot of processing going on, which is the bottle neck. And working with proxies is pretty good if you are reading lots of sources in from disk.

But I wonder how it helps if you work with disk cache.

After Effects is a frustrating and erratic renderer. I know it’s doing something, but it’s not very transparent what it’s doing or why it sometimes takes so long. Downsizing and transcoding a sequence, for instance, can bring my entire computer to a standstill and take an unprecedentedly long time. I have no idea why. It appears to be writing one helluva lot of information to and from disk, which I guess is some kind of disk-cache-gone-wrong.

I think AE’s chief rendering problem is probably something to do with its interim layer caching. It’s no secret why there’s a switch to disable layer caching in the “Secret” settings. CS5 throws 64bit and more RAM addressing at the problem, but I can’t help but feel that the core inefficiency is still there.

By comparison, Cinema 4D rendering seems solid as a rock – and that’s doing something far more complex.

-f.

293 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
ivezicm says

I’m not familiar with hardware but I wonder, is it possible to use that SSD PCI express hard drives as ram?

98 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Bulgaria
+6 more
Stefoto says

ivezicm unfortunately you can’t do that :)

147 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
didgi says

hah good work… working on 500gb ssd for my main work computer… would love to get one on my laptop to save battery life and be extremely fast but I also need a new laptop so i’m torn.

Hi,which ssd do you have?You are on a Mac Pro aren’t you?

by
by
by
by
by
by