12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
sunnythemez says

Hello,

I’m in the process of creating a wordpress theme and I’ve noticed that a lot of the wordpress themes have a Site template version released as well. So should I also do the same? or can you tell me how often is this done? and if there are any advantages/disadvantages to this.

Please let me know about this and thank you very much.

202 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
biyanpasau says

No, you should not. Working with HTML/CSS template is a little bit risky. It’s extremely easy to make a copy of HTML/CSS template, the script, css and your idea. So, you will soon get your item ripped off before you got any chance to release the WordPress version :p

356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

Well, I think it depends on whether you are willing to spend the extra time to make a good documentation and ‘fill’ the files with placeholders. I released my HTML template before completing the WordPress version (which was released about 2 months later).

Did someone rip off my HTML template before I released my WordPress version? Yes. Did someone share my WordPress theme illegally after I released it? Yes. Basically, no matter what you do, your items will definitely get ‘ripped off’, but I believe those who got them through ‘other means’ do not intend to use them on their actual website anyway.

With that said, providing both HTML and WordPress versions allows buyers to choose what suits them the most. Up till now, there are still people who buy my HTML template occasionally although there is a WordPress version available because it might be more suitable for them if they don’t update their website frequently (in terms of adding blog posts etc.), or that they just want to port it to fit their own CMS.

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
sunnythemez says

Thank you very much for both of your replies. Wow, I didn’t even think that this could happen, if I released the Html/Css version first.

But how about I release my Html/Css version and the Wordpress version at the same time, is there still a higher risk of someone ‘ripping off’ my theme, than if I just release one version? Also, once my Wordpress theme is ready, I don’t think I will have any trouble creating a Site template for that, it should take me just few hours, I think.

95 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
Deriggs007 says

It doesn’t really matter what you do as stated, the sad truth about releasing themes—it’s going to get ripped or redistributed after x amount of time.

Personally, I would release both, you’re still going to have people buy it regardless. If you do it all in perfect markup without Wordpress, you’re going to still cater to some people and not others. Wordpress is just so big that you’ll end up catering to a larger group with that version anyways. Release both, it’s only money for you

But again, releasing both = still going to get redistributed, illegally

366 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pixelgrade says

You should release the html template when your theme sales drop to regain some traction.

140 posts moutheme
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Europe
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
moutheme says

I would recommend to do that with your first item for a several reasons.

by
by
by
by
by
by