• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

Hey guys,

First off, not really looking to start a flame or something and I am kindly asking the mods to lock /remove this if they feel like it goes south, but I’m having some thoughts on an issue and I really don’t know how else or where else to put it.

It’s both a thing that I’d love to have at hand, as an author tool and an issue that I have with an attitude found more and more lately on TF at least.

The damn “Looks awesome” comments that a handful of users constantly drop on each and every new item, no matter how good of a job is done or not.

Those comments are placed there not out of a genuine interest in the quality of a product, but most likely for self-exposure – in the idea that someone might also click their names, go through the portfolio and buy something.

I might be paranoid, but seriously… some people just copy-paste the same damn thing over and over again to each and every item. I get it that some might find it an ego-boost seeing those gazillion faked-interest comments, but in the end none of them has a “purchased” tag and none of them really leave a valuable feed-back and customers have to scroll and click through X pages to actually see something worthy or interesting because of this kind of comment spam.

I know I’ve left my own comment when I saw an item that shined (from my viewpoint at least), but seriously… if you say the same thing to every item released, you either had too much to drink/smoke and everything looks great in your eyes, or you’re just trying/hoping to work the system.

As an author, I do occasionally love the ego-brushing, but for cases like this I’d like to have a possibility to flag these comments as useless / comment spam / whatever and I do believe that to an extend they hurt the marketplace. In theory these comments can be flagged, but with what reasoning? Are they negative? Clearly no. Are they abusive? Not directly to a user, though they abuse a system. How do you decide when a user has posted enough copies of the same comment to turn into spam? There’s a whole debate here.

I don’t know, I might be crazy and some people might actually love each new item… but the damn coincidence… same few names, same two-three words, most time copy-paste…

CAN or SHOULD anything be done about this? Staff, authors, what do you guys think?

Regards, Alex

355 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

Man, finally someone pointed on it! But I doubt that we can do anything about it. How do you prove that they actualy don’t like all those designs?:) It is a very stupid form of self promotion, and it should be treated as spamming, but it is really hard to set rules for that. Authors should have a option to remove comments from their items, but only from people who didn’t bought this item. But you know, there are much bigger problems, for example rating system, so I don’t expect this problem to be solved soon.

852 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
ImanGM says

I’ve commented on two items today. But believe me, I really like them and I feel that I should thank these creative guys that are creating awesome works.

P.S. I’m not that spammer! :D

355 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

Don’t worry Imangm, we all do know those spammers and you sure are not one of them:)

852 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
ImanGM says

Oh, Thanks god! You know I’m not a lucky man and I thought you catch me as a spammer after 2 comments!

JK ;)

1400 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

Was just discussing this yesterday, you are definitely not the only one who notices this and is bothered by it.

I guess there is not much we users can do, we would need staff input on this.

1034 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I noticed it too, a few people have brought it up in the past however, it looks just as bad when you flag them and it looks like people are getting spammy comments on their items so people just leave them there, there should be an easy way for authors to wipe comments

But then of course that means they could just ignore people trying to get support

951 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
tommusrhodus says

I have nothing wrong with it, apart from this point;

I might be paranoid, but seriously… some people just copy-paste the same damn thing over and over again to each and every item.

When that starts happening, it’s obvious that the user (normally an author) is just trying to promote themselves through others comments. Not sure what can be done, or if anything should be done, but overall this is a professional marketplace, and we should be conducting ourselves in a professional manner, not trying to advertise ourselves on others items.

317 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

This is a professional marketplace, and we should be conducting ourselves in a professional manner, not trying to advertise ourselves on others items.

Tommus, that’s what I am basically talking about. While the comment might not point to a specific item, thus it’s not “quality self-promotion”, it tries to achieve it through quantity. The more comments left on the more items, the bigger the chances that someone might randomly click on the profile of a user who “seems to know what they are saying cause the leave feedback.”

It is unprofessional. And we all leave comments on other people’s work when we really like them. I for one know that I’ve stalked your latest items (really good man, grats!). But there’s a sensible difference.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Old habit. Just get over it.. It happened 4 years ago on ActiveDen and it happens now on ThemeForest. There are users who think that they can get more clicks to their profile if they say “awesome!” to new each item.

The discussion was raised a couple of times on the forums but it cannot come to any end :D

by
by
by
by
by
by