630 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

I have reason to believe the Envato team are biased against me so rather spend time making a Help document and previews etc I thought I’d run this by you all and see if you can find anything they can use as an excuse to reject my latest template:

Note that the contact form doesn’t work as I am no good at PHP but I’m sure there are other themes here with no working form. Ok, here’s the preview:

http://robbydesigns.com/theme-previews/lobsterfolio/live/
1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

Hi Robby,

Things I would consider improving upon:

1. The ‘Back to Top’ arrow on the right shouldn’t appear when I’m at the top of the site. There’s no where else to go so why is it there? Here’s a great script I use that will make that arrow only appear when the user has scrolled down the page.
  2. You have typography issues. For example, your latest news titles are the same font size as the post date. There’s also very little different between the titles and content.
  3. You have spacing issues. For example, the portfolio sorting links have a huge space between them. And in the ‘Latest News’ section, the post titles are totally buried into the excerpt text (no padding).
  4. Why are you using lorem ipsum for the ‘Unmissble News’ post links? Make them say ‘read more’ or ‘continue reading’ or something that makes sense.
  5. Maybe consider naming it something other than Lobster since it’s the same name as the font (a very overused and well known font, I might add).
630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Thanks buddy, I’ll deffo take a look at those suggestions, appreciate that.

47 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
JoelBesada says

First of all, why would the Envato team be biased against you?

Secondly, writing documentation shouldn’t feel like a waste of time. If your template gets rejected, you can still keep improving it until it is of good enough quality. The documentation should still remain the same, unless you’ve changed major parts of the template functionality, in which case you probably didn’t think through what purpose you wanted your template to fill to begin with.

143 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
cramdesign says

The contact form has to work. If there are other themes here with non working forms, I am sure they would be outed in the comments. There are likely lots of examples out there for it or you could just use the contact form 7 plugin. Good luck.

443 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
SplitV says

I wouldn’t take the rejections to personal man, it’s hard sometimes to see your own work objectively.

2211 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says
RobbyDesigns said
Thanks buddy, [...].

Take a look at her picture. Take a look at her name. Now rephrase that ;)

103 posts Too Much is Never Enough
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
premitheme says

@RobbyDesigns

JamiGibbs already gave you some points on how to improve your design. But I wanted to share my experience with you.

Reviewing staff can’t give every author a specific list of improvements in order to approve his/her submissions, this is not their job, they are not teachers. So if your submission needs several improvements they will simply respond “Your item doesn’t meet out criteria” or something similar. Frustrating respond, isn’t it?

But I found that most of time the problems are not so complicated and could be easily fixed, like revising padding and margins, text line heights, contrast between text and background colors …etc

So, don’t give up to this feeling that the Envato team be biased against you. If you don’t see any improvements needed, they absolutely see. Now you should submit a support ticket asking for further assistance from your reviewer (they refer to this in their reply), and believe me they are so helpful and will guide you.

Good luck :)

3114 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

well to start Envato has absolutely nothing against you Ive seen you mention that multiple times if they did you most likely wouldn’t have an account here at all…

Now is your site worth submitting? Not at all. While it’s a good start in terms of layout, it needs some major improvements in terms of design and usability.

1. Making a contact form work doesn’t require any php knowledge at all you can do it with basic html and javascript…. also theres 100s of resources online that explain how to create a working form..

2 CONTRAST CONTRAST CONTRAST CONTRAST ….there is none my eyes get bored and I want to click away

3. inconsistent margins/padding

4. poor choice of typography, theres nothing really defining your headings at all

5. use some texture

http://naldzgraphics.net/design-2/textures-web-design-tips/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/more-meaningful-typography/
http://usabilitygeek.com/the-difference-between-usability-and-user-experience/
http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/design-theory/understanding-visual-hierarchy-in-web-design/
http://www.sitepoint.com/principles-of-good-design-balance/
http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory
630 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
RobbyDesigns says

Thanks everybody and apologies to JamiGibbs for calling you ‘buddy’.

JoelBesada: I don’t write the Help file until I feel the template is ready for release because if it’s just going to be rejected I’d rather keep it as the set of PSD ’s which I’m selling elsewhere.

Cramdesign: Contact form 7 plugin is for Wordpress, this is a HTML template, thanks anyway.

SplitV: Kind words, thanks.

Premitheme: The review team have given me some advice on the past template I uploaded to ThemeForest but it was so dramatic I felt the design would no longer be my style and now give it away for the price of a Tweet.

Organicbeemedia: Thanks for the advice. First of all let me explain, I got flamed in this forum a while ago for no reason, I reported it and ever since then I’ve had nothing but problems, I did ask to leave but the team encouraged me to stay, I uploaded two business cards which were rejected and have gone on to have more than 30,000 downloads total in one year, one of which ‘k&m business card’ was shown in SmashingMagazine so they can’t be that bad. Guess that makes me paranoid :) Thanks for the links, I will take a look but I wont be adding a texture because that’s not my style and I’d rather be true to myself.

So, thanks everyone.

by
by
by
by
by
by