4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
JV_designer says

Hi Guys (and gals),

I need your input/help. This is my first post, so sorry about any informality that I may have missed.

As of right now, I currently work from home full time, and I am needing to look into other ways of making some income. I have been considering designing PSD templates and even some HTML Templates full time and selling them on the site along with illustrations and graphics on graphicriver.

My question is, is it worth the time to design templates/graphics full time. Is the income worth the time put into it?

Thanks in advance for your help

213 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
snaz3d says

It can be or it can be not. Depends on your skill and if people like what you do.

For example you could sell more thank 10k+ dollars / month or you could sell 0 /month. It’s more like gambling.

But if you consider yourself really good in the field, it definately is. You won’t regret it.

So you decide what you want to do, and how to earn your income.

Cheers

24 posts
  • Located in Canada
NathanCH says

You need to sell at least 20 for it to be worth the time. Else you could get a part time job at minimum wage and make more. I’ve yet to jump in yet because it seems like they’re selling less and less

I could be wrong though

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says
My question is, is it worth the time to design templates/graphics full time. Is the income worth the time put into it?

It’s definitely possible to make $10k a month, some authors are doing this currently, however it’s not a guaranteed thing. Like snaz3d stated its all dependent on your skills.

You would be hard pressed to make anywhere near that just selling PSD templates, just because the price point is so low. You would need to sell an amazing amount per month to make a decent income.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

This is definitely possible. The great thing about these marketplaces is that there is a huge potential to make quite a bit of money. At Theme Forest the best categories to make money are HTML templates and WordPress themes. If you’re any good at writing though you might be able to write for the Theme Forest blog as well. Jeffrey (the site manager) is looking for a developer right now to write one article/tutorial per week for the blog at $100 per.

So, if you build a few HTML templates, a few WordPress themes, get some stuff up on Graphic River and write articles for the Theme Forest blog then you have the potential to make some decent money pretty quick. You could also write tutorials for Nettuts and/or Psdtuts which pay $150 per published tutorial.

If you don’t think you have the skill yet and you need more income sooner rather than later then a part time job might be the way to go.

Hope this helps! :-)

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

It all comes down to your skill level. If you really put the time into designing some fantastic templates, you’ll do very well on our site.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I can tell you that I was also skeptical – I do quite well doing my day job (freelancer) and thought I would throw a template or 2 on here to see how things went a couple of months ago for some extra cash (actually to help my daughter into college), and was pleasantly surprised.

Now, as people have mentioned it is like a very simple equation – sales=Themeforest+your skills+your time – meaning if you are experienced and a good designer and you put effort into it then rewards will come via TF.

I don’t agree however that you cannot make much money from PSD – I do ok, not enough to live on, but the difference in money you get out of the sale of say a good PSD and a good html is a buck or so (in my case anyways due to the pricing they have placed on my items) so the ONLY factor is really sales volume, of which I do agree HTML sells WAAAAY more than PSD – but do like I and quite a few others do – design your pages in photoshop – get them approved and see what sales are like. Then if they are good, spend the extra time and effort to produce the HTML and place that on sale – the sales of HTML are far greater – and if you are a wordpress developer then your mark-up is even greater and this is also a great seller here (not talking from experience as I don’t do WP – but can see the sales figures).

All in all it’s a great opportunity to start small and build – the great advantage is you don’t deal with collecting the money or getting the traffic – and the really cool thing is they keep selling – and as an added bonus on top you can also place items on graphic river (not tried that yet as the sales volumes I see and very low price points put me off) – but they also have music and video (something I will be doing in the future) marketplaces.

Jump in, the waters great! :)

4 posts
JV_designer says

Thanks everyone for the input.

It really sounds like something I am interested in, so I think im going to take the leap and see how it works out.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Looking forward to your first submissions – word of advise – it’s a lot more trickier to get PSD templates accepted for sale than html – however, there is a great site created by one of the authors here on TF that aloows you to show a bunch of other authors your designs for review for free as a little community – this helps streamline the acceptance process here at TF especially if you have never created one before – I fully recommend it – http://reviewmydesign.net/

4 posts
JV_designer says

Awesome. I’ll check that out. Thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by