Would anyone like a system where you could code designs that other authors made and split the profit?

47 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
TylorSkory says

I like coding designs from PSD documents and I was thinking, with all the PSD designs that never make it into production, it would be cool if there was some sort of system in place that would allow someone to code another authors design and split the profits 50/50. I have no idea how this would work or be set up, but I just though it was kind of an interesting idea none the less. Just wanted to see if anyone else found the idea intriguing.

14 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
Januska says

Yeah, I like that idea. I’m not quite sure how it could be executed either though. But I definitely do like the idea. I design, and I don’t really like to code that much, so I’d definitely go for something like this.

250 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

Hi, I think some authors already do this, they set up a separate account for collaborative work and then split the money from that account.

47 posts
TylorSkory says

I wonder if this is allowed (having joint accounts like that)? Perhaps someone from Themeforest would be able to clarify this. It would be a really great feature to have something official put in place though.

184 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
chilly_orange says
I wonder if this is allowed (having joint accounts like that)? Perhaps someone from Themeforest would be able to clarify this. It would be a really great feature to have something official put in place though.

Can’t think of any reason why this shouldn’t be allowed… In the end, if more top-notch designs make it from PSD to HTML or WP this will increase sales which benefits Envato.

It would be actually be great if Envato could serve as mediator between designer and coder. When regular joint accounts, you’re always at risk of your partner taking off with all the profits instead of sharing it (which is what has been holding me back to go down this road).

92 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Toushi says

I would be very interested in this. I love coding designs, and designing them, but I spend way to much time designing and never get around to actually releasing files.

47 posts
TylorSkory says

Yes, I agree. I would be very nervous that my partner would run off with the money. Not to mention, I would have to create multiple accounts if I wanted to work with various authors.

I can take a design and code it into a functional HTML /Wordpress theme really quickly and there are tons of PSD designs on here that I would would love to covert. I would really like to see a feature implemented that made this possible.

I imagine that it would work like this: When someone uploads a PSD , there would be an option to “allow this theme to be converted by other authors”. Then someone can download it (for the normal price), code it, and upload it again with a feature to choose the original author. Themeforest would then automatically split the profits based of the theme’s price and the authors individual percentages.

217 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CreativeStable says

It sounds like it might be difficult to implement but I’d definitely be interested in it. I’ve had people offer to convert my designs to wordpress but I just wasn’t sure how to go about splitting profits.

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Ireland
dotmac says

@Tyler: and what happens when you’re not happy with that person’s work (he, for example, doesn’t include the fancy jQuery promo window that you’ve been basing part of the layout on)? He’ll still have released something based on your work, using your design. So there has to be some form of mutual agreement from both parties as well.

Interesting idea, perhaps something that can be done in conjunction with FreelanceSwitch (another Envato site! ;) ); “Jobs from the marketplace” Would require any material in the PSD categories to have a checkbox for each item “Allow item to be re-coded” which’d automatically create the item as a job on FreelanceSwitch and then follow its natural process there.

Just thinking out loud here, but that sounds pretty solid to me. (As long as they’ll take off the $7 / month pricetag for FreelanceSwitch ;) )

47 posts
TylorSkory says

@dotmac: I would think that the reviewer for Themeforest would take a look at the original PSD theme before they reviewed it. It should be obvious that the “coder” failed to add a large component (such as a jquery image slider or a drop down menu). With Themeforests high standards, I think it would have to be up to the TF reviewer whether the template is accepted, and if it was, then they obviously saw it as a theme that is “sellable” regardless of anything that may be missing.

I like the idea of the FreelanceSwich job posted too, very interesting way to link the two sites together.

by
by
by
by
by
by