204 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
parajuli says

I believe that purchasing of an item is not solely for implementation/use, but more significantly, it can be put in a way that the buyer learns how things work, how it’s made. I believe it is one of the reasons why source code ’.fla’ is included in the purchase.

I don’t understand if learning and implementing the knowledge is a breach of copyright. Would it be a copyright violation if someone bought a banner rotator, learnt how to make it and uploaded a new rotator built by him(perhaps with few improvements)?

3 posts
samar86 says

I don’t think it’d violate the copyright laws at all.

If it were to violate the law, FD wouldn’t have 10s of PageFlips, Carousels and 100s of Banner Rotators.

1092 posts
  • Netherlands
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+2 more
Reconcept says

If he’d built it completely from scratch it would be no problem. If there’s anything copied it will be illegal.

Btw you have a cool flag.

204 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
parajuli says

Thank you jurgenv. Nepal is the only country which has a unique flag(Not a square or rectangle) :D

535 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
dimumurray says

What you’ve described here borders on reverse engineering, which occupies that fuzzy gray area of copyright law. But as far as copyright law goes it boils down to this : while someone cannot copyright an idea, they can copyright their implementation of that idea (graphical assets and source). So depending on the author you may have to procure a license from him/her to create derivate works. If the author’s license doesn’t allow for derivatives, some other options are to either build the thing from scratch or look up some public domain source/tutorials and use them as a starting point. Personally I favor building the thing from scratch, resorting to outside sources only when I’m stumped for a lengthy period.

1549 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
dSKY says

this is a gray area, because , i think this is done here like a million times before, you take someone source , change variables , change some functions and that’s it. It’s your file now.

229 posts
  • United States
james345 says

Yes that’s a copyright violation.

3 posts
samar86 says

If someone has learned the way file works and built it his way using different functions then obviously its ‘his’. Loops and procedures, say, reading XML , fetching arrays etc. are all the same they can’t be changed..

1234 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • United States
MBMedia says
If someone has learned the way file works and built it his way using different functions then obviously its ‘his’. Loops and procedures, say, reading XML , fetching arrays etc. are all the same they can’t be changed..

Sorry samar, I know it’s unkind to say, but only someone that is not very experienced with flash or script based programming in general would make the assertion that two programs that do the same things and have the same features have to have any internal similarity at all. It’s simply not true. And if you are copying the program structure and just changing the names of stuff that is copying and stealing, just with an attempt made at hiding it that may or may not work.

3 posts
samar86 says
same features have to have any internal similarity at all.

How would you put basic things like loops, reading XML , fetching arrays etc. in 10 different ways?

by
by
by
by
by
by