582 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
SparkyFlash says
same features have to have any internal similarity at all.
How would you put basic things like loops, reading XML , fetching arrays etc. in 10 different ways?

Every coder’s style is different. Besides, if you build the file yourself and thought about the solutions of the problems you are facing and not scratching it off a tutorial or other author’s work, you get to the results quite different from other coders.

patrickjansendesign
patrickjansendesign Recent Posts Threads Started
154 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
patrickjansendesign says

Ask yourself this; if you were super-intelligent and in some moths would manage to completely decompile, study and be able to recreate for instance the Windos Operating System…. Do you think the people at Microsoft would say “ah, so you learned how to do it?. Then it’s ok to recreate it as long as it does not to LOOK like our system/code” ?

In the end it will always remain a grey area and it depends on different things, but would advise anybody working in this area to register your stuff at the copyright office to prepare for any eventualities.

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Functions are just one side of the story. There is also design. In 2007 on a different account I let someone else modify a mp3 player of mine. They uploaded it to flashden to sell and he got banned while I got a warning. I then looked at the design and saw that it was pretty much the same as mine. Tell ya what. I’ll never let someone borrow one of my files to sell ANYWHERE as their own creation again. BUT there is another case in which I got permission to upload a file that I collaborated with another author. I stated that I would give half of the earnings from that file to the other author. I suppose as long as you give credit where credit is due and let people know how you did it, within certain guidelines some things are okay.

70 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
ryguy says

If someone buys code, modified a few things, then called it their own to sell… in the back of their minds, they still know they didn’t fully “create something from nothing”.

I get a kick out of creating something from nothing, that’s why I do what I do!

I agree, there is a fine line. Let’s say you don’t want to reinvent the wheel and you end up using a Tween class, a killer math class, or you go outside of Flash and number crunch in a Python script that you didn’t create. There isn’t anything wrong with that since that’s the intent of those classes and why there are licenses describing the “use” of those classes/extensions/etc.

But, what the OP is asking if you buy code, improve it, add features, and then resell it without the original author knowing?

That is a bad practice in my opinion. What if you extended an abstract class without knowing? Removed valuable event dispatches, etc? What if you just messed up the original file? That’s happened with noPonies on this site before. Someone took his classes, destroyed them, and resold them here. They were caught of course since FD has a strong Sheriff department. ;)

152 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
lars019 says
by
by
by
by
by