3096 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

Unique designs are nice, but don’t always sell well. Check out our latest theme lol (edit again: oh! 5 sales! #win). Should have added more features from the get go. Oh well.

People want a website that functions like a website. You cannot go too unique or niche otherwise it will not sell. That’s why I think some themes look the same. It’s like cars, they all look like cars.

edit: damn, hate when my random afternoon ramblings get added at the top of the page.

147 posts Get in the spotlight
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
FamousThemes says

I agree with dtbaker, unique designs will not sale too much because this is the actual trend for now. But the trend can be changed. I do consider that niche templates and themes will be a must for the future, otherwise it will end up to a market saturation.

This why I really like what envato do with rewards like “Envato’s Most Wanted – $10,000 Reward for the First 50 Joomla Templates & Plugins”. And I would apreciate if one day a reward like this will be available for niche themes. This will helps users win more money from unique and niche themes.

Cheers.

13 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
MenteCriativa says

I’m just entering the themeforest community, trying to figure everything out and I just bumped at this Post.

I don’t want to be a smart ‘ass’ or anything, but the way I see it, you can’t raise a ‘quality’ bar unless you’re willing to lose templates that someone would be happy to pay for either it is a first class one or one not that great.

There’s already an easy way to distinguish great templates from low ones, actually you don’t have only one, there are a couple. Like Sales, the start system, featured artists and works and for sure, sales.

If you think, in the end, it’s not ‘you’ or another GREAT designer that evaluates if the work is great or not, it’s those who buy them. You can have a 5stars item that for some reason won’t sell, and the other way around.

Just thinking, but we already have a judge to ‘raise’ quality standards, reviewers and buyers. :)

Chears HC

(ps: got some warm welcome and I’m kindah thrilled coming here and seeing how all is working)

150 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
designsatnight says

wouldn’t it be better to raise the prices of the best ones? then you have space for more.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says

From what I observe in this thread, some of you want the standards increased just because your so awesome theme might get lost because so many themes get accepted everyday and you won’t make the desired $$$... If the theme has the ideal balance between features and great design, it will stand out of the crowd.

A bit too arogant, don’t you think?

159 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

From what I observe in this thread, some of you want the standards increased just because your so awesome theme might get lost because so many themes get accepted everyday and you won’t make the desired $$$... If the theme has the ideal balance between features and great design, it will stand out of the crowd.

Not at all.

75 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dreampunchboy says

Not at all.

Lol, as if he was going to admit that.

245 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says
Lol, as if he was going to admit that.

Then why was he asked?

Anyway, check a 1-2 years old theme and compare it with one uploaded this week and you’ll see a pretty big difference. I think reviewers are constantly upgrading the quality & uniqueness requirements, which is the right thing to do. Since ThemeForest is known for its premium themes then that’s the way it ought to remain.

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I am amazed by the number of themes uploaded and approved everyday on TF. Things sure changes in 2-3 years :)

I also see a lot of them with really low sales so I am wondering, maybe it would be good to have higher standards now that we have a LOT of themes on the market?

What do you guys think?

Funny, had the same thought yesterday.

Although I think my latest theme might simply not be appealing to customers, it was really a shock when it vanished from the homepage after just 2 days. Thats a very very small exposure time and barely enough to end up at the popular items section. Looking at the list of previous approved items I see quite a few gems that with a little more time on the front would have easily made the popular items section but now probably wont.

So for now, a quality requirement increase might fix that problem but in the long run I am not sure if the current homepage concept will work out well.

Its a little like back in the days when codecanyon didn’t exist, only that nowadays tons of html themes flood the marketplace…

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

Although I think my latest theme might simply not be appealing to customers, it was really a shock when it vanished from the homepage after just 2 days. Thats a very very small exposure time and barely enough to end up at the popular items section. Looking at the list of previous approved items I see quite a few gems that with a little more time on the front would have easily made the popular items section but now probably wont.

So for now, a quality requirement increase might fix that problem but in the long run I am not sure if the current homepage concept will work out well.

Its a little like back in the days when codecanyon didn’t exist, only that nowadays tons of html themes flood the marketplace…

I feel very similar to Kriesi on this. I often see themes that are quite nice but just off the mark. With small changes they could be exceptional. I’m not sure if changing the quality requirement would make a difference. It’s possible this is a skill or experience issue.

I think it’s good we’re discussing it. There may be a solution we’re not seeing yet. My goal isn’t to push out competition with higher standards. Some of the top selling authors of 2011 weren’t even part of the marketplace in 2010 so there’s plenty of room for new authors. However, I am getting very tired of the copycat activity. If there was one area of the standards I would like to see improved most, this would be it.

by
by
by
by
by
by