170 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+4 more
stmcan says

Although I think my latest theme might simply not be appealing to customers, it was really a shock when it vanished from the homepage after just 2 days. Thats a very very small exposure time and barely enough to end up at the popular items section. Looking at the list of previous approved items I see quite a few gems that with a little more time on the front would have easily made the popular items section but now probably wont.

So for now, a quality requirement increase might fix that problem but in the long run I am not sure if the current homepage concept will work out well.

Its a little like back in the days when codecanyon didn’t exist, only that nowadays tons of html themes flood the marketplace…

I feel very similar to Kriesi on this. I often see themes that are quite nice but just off the mark. With small changes they could be exceptional. I’m not sure if changing the quality requirement would make a difference. It’s possible this is a skill or experience issue.

I think it’s good we’re discussing it. There may be a solution we’re not seeing yet. My goal isn’t to push out competition with higher standards. Some of the top selling authors of 2011 weren’t even part of the marketplace in 2010 so there’s plenty of room for new authors. However, I am getting very tired of the copycat activity. If there was one area of the standards I would like to see improved most, this would be it.

+1

777 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

WTF is going on here?

is the newest template in PSD category meets TF high standards in terms of typography, visual hierarchy, overall aesthetics and design quality? BTW , that template is stolen…

Should all TF authors who are trying to make decent items quit and start making crap or steal??

58 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
maarcin says

What might help (don’t have to) is to get rid of All category in New Items and add option to choose a category in your profile that will display by default.

2296 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I have had the same thoughts since the beginning of the year – no one can tell me that all items being accepted should be accepted, there are some really sub-par items these days, not sure why this is happening. But basically the result in this is that items are literally hanging on the home page for about 2 days – which is just not enough time for some exposure – I know we have had this same argument with Envato for at least 2 years now where they completely disagree that front page exposure is required, they say that if an item is good it will sell – it’s not the truth at all, Kreisi says it well, just look over some of the more recent great items that have awful sales.

So here’s the kicker, Envato don’t care because their pockets are not effected in anyway because overall sales across the marketplace will probably be the same, just more options for buyers. However the knock on effect is each individual author sells less.

Now that’s great for Envato and it’s a super business model because as I said they are financially unaffected, but they need to look long term with regard to over stuffing the marketplace with items as it will eventually (and currently very quickly) become a pointless exercise for professionals to produce items to sell here, we have low prices based on high sales = profit for all. If you now have low prices and low sales authors don’t make profits and hence will seek alternative models for income and leave the marketplaces – in the end Envato will hurt themselves.

Jonathan

162 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+4 more
anariel7 says

WTF is going on here?

is the newest template in PSD category meets TF high standards in terms of typography, visual hierarchy, overall aesthetics and design quality? BTW , that template is stolen…

Should all TF authors who are trying to make decent items quit and start making crap or steal??

It is not available more,they removed it. It is shame when people make such copies from other themes. It is great to be inspired with something but not to copy it

777 posts
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

I have had the same thoughts since the beginning of the year – no one can tell me that all items being accepted should be accepted, there are some really sub-par items these days, not sure why this is happening. But basically the result in this is that items are literally hanging on the home page for about 2 days – which is just not enough time for some exposure – I know we have had this same argument with Envato for at least 2 years now where they completely disagree that front page exposure is required, they say that if an item is good it will sell – it’s not the truth at all, Kreisi says it well, just look over some of the more recent great items that have awful sales.

So here’s the kicker, Envato don’t care because their pockets are not effected in anyway because overall sales across the marketplace will probably be the same, just more options for buyers. However the knock on effect is each individual author sells less.

Now that’s great for Envato and it’s a super business model because as I said they are financially unaffected, but they need to look long term with regard to over stuffing the marketplace with items as it will eventually (and currently very quickly) become a pointless exercise for professionals to produce items to sell here, we have low prices based on high sales = profit for all. If you now have low prices and low sales authors don’t make profits and hence will seek alternative models for income and leave the marketplaces – in the end Envato will hurt themselves.

Jonathan

+100500

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

A category of items labeled something like “Staff Picks” would be cool. Something like a featured area with more items. The ones that the staff thinks the marketplace needs and are cool. An area where clones are not allowed. :)

There is a “Weekly Features” area but that covers one item a week and works too slow for the number of cool templates that can be featured.

This can help authors that submit really great files because they will not be covered too quickly by the main flow of files approved.

255 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
DanThemes says

A category of items labeled something like “Staff Picks” would be cool. Something like a featured area with more items. The ones that the staff thinks the marketplace needs and are cool. An area where clones are not allowed. :)

This is a great suggestion, I really hope it will be implemented. :)

57 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
StelianSubotin says

+100500

hahaha, too bad not everyone knows about it.

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Exposure is important, but you guys need to adapt to the situation, how don’t ask me.Maybe bring more attention to your sel’fs.

And about new authors and quality etc.

If u check the item discussion section where new authors come to ask for some direction or advice u will rarely see any of the themforest hotshot authors…to give your 3 minutes advice to the community. lets be real as many of mentioned copying starts when people get frustrated by answers like its not unique enough or not meeting technical requirements etc. I am not bashing the reviewers, it just is frustrating. But there is progress. And what do authors when frustrated do they go and find good selling stuff and figure out how or why is it selling.

And if u check overall templates all the aspects are copied and evolved onwards… sometimes tis evolution of design goes a bit slower, but hey that’s the business.

Razing the bar to what end? There are some standards that are used in web if you go out of them people will not buy and if u try something new u mostly get rejected or ending up with 1 or 2 sales and if you focus on surten groups u again don’t get sales. Lets keep in mind like envato we all are here for the $$$.

Cheers!

by
by
by
by
by
by