322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

Maybe – instead of raising the quality standard so to speak – there should be more of a balance between “is this a quality item?” AND “does the marketplace really need this right now?”

Even a couple of my own themes would most likely fall short on the “do we need this” filter, but I wouldn’t mind taking the hit if it meant more authors were challenged to build themes that serve more of a direct purpose, including myself.

READ THIS LAST PARAGRAPH BEFORE JUMPING INTO A REPLY ..

The fallback would be that even if a particular theme isn’t really needed, it could still be approved only if it was of exceptional quality. That way you’d have a nice balance between 1. themes people really need and 2. themes with a general purpose but exceptional quality.

812 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
rvision_ says

For myself, I’ve had 4 WP themes rejected, but here is the interesting thing….I sell them on my own website and actually making more than the newer authors are making here, so again, where is the incentive for authors now… Before it wasn’t the case…such as trying to catch up to Kriesi was and is still impossible :) You got in the right time, lol.

Off-topic: Just checked out your themes, IMHO , Biosphere, for example, is much much better than most of the crap they approved recently.

82 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
GJThemes says

Off-topic: Just checked out your themes, IMHO , Biosphere, for example, is much much better than most of the crap they approved recently.
Thanks rvision…I think my Biosphere was a bit too unique, lol. But I guess in the end, TF is Envato’s site which means they can do what they feel works for them because it is a business. Although, as it appears, there are some concerns from authors, both new and elite. Perhaps some of the things everyone is bringing up in discussion might create cause for change by the Envato team. I’m just finishing up one new WP theme but I won’t be submitting it to TF because I’m going to sit back and watch things here for a while and see what happens. In the mean time, it’s another theme for my site portfolio :)
539 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
Bebel says

As I said before in a previous thread-the “exposure problem” on the frontpage has to be fixed. There are too many 8-10 Dollars files that kick out wordpress themes etc (and they aren’t even selling well!) If it keeps developing this way the frontpage will be full only with HTML pages, newsletter themes and 404 pages in no time. This doesn’t have to be bad-it just means for an author that it might not be worth to create a Wordpress theme but rather smart to create lower profile items as well. As soon as you can’t earn several thousand dollars with a Wordpress theme anymore, people will stop creating new ones…

40 posts
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
razzc says

I am amazed by the number of themes uploaded and approved everyday on TF. Things sure changes in 2-3 years :)

I also see a lot of them with really low sales so I am wondering, maybe it would be good to have higher standards now that we have a LOT of themes on the market?

What do you guys think?

I don’t care much about themes’ quality. If I find something that I don’t like, I simply go pass’em. However, what I would love to see is the quality of support improved. A lot of them just dump their themes for sale and not aware of service culture whatsoever. I wouldn’t mind paying more if support was made mandatory OR,buy the theme WITH support or if you feel competent then buy WITHOUT one. Sometimes I sit over an issue for upto a week waiting for support and in the end you are told ‘oh,,,this is not covered, that is not covered’! Because, according to TF, they are NOT REQUIRED to provide support.

162 posts
  • Europe
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
anariel7 says

I am amazed by the number of themes uploaded and approved everyday on TF. Things sure changes in 2-3 years :)

I also see a lot of them with really low sales so I am wondering, maybe it would be good to have higher standards now that we have a LOT of themes on the market?

What do you guys think?
I don’t care much about themes’ quality. If I find something that I don’t like, I simply go pass’em. However, what I would love to see is the quality of support improved. A lot of them just dump their themes for sale and not aware of service culture whatsoever. I wouldn’t mind paying more if support was made mandatory OR,buy the theme WITH support or if you feel competent then buy WITHOUT one. Sometimes I sit over an issue for upto a week waiting for support and in the end you are told ‘oh,,,this is not covered, that is not covered’! Because, according to TF, they are NOT REQUIRED to provide support.
Hi,

i understand what u are talking about but also at the other hand you need to understand that for this price i think also that “Not Required” is fine.At the other hand i give support as other creatives also to all my buyers and give maybe more help than i need to do and i don’t become from that nothing and is taking me lot of my time but still happy to help someone :). But you need to now that for this price of the item i agree that support is not required. Buyers become with template lot of features, help files and much more, and i think for that price is more than enough. But i agree also that support is important part when u are selling something, no metter what if this is theme or some other product, when you create something, than is also important to give support for this product. Sorry for my english ;)

269 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Kopyov says

Just curious guys how do you decide which theme is cool and which isn’t? Isn’t that a personal taste of the author? Everyone wants a theme to be on the first page, but excuse me, you are not the only one author here, everybody want to sell their stuff here and you tell here that those themes suck and my stuff is great. Let reviewers decide? Because that sounds unfair and egotistically. Just ask envato to reject all themes except themes from elite authors and everything will be solved. Give a choice to buyers, not to authors

162 posts
  • Europe
anariel7 says

Just curious guys how do you decide which theme is cool and which isn’t? Isn’t that a personal taste of the author? Everyone wants a theme to be on the first page, but excuse me, you are not the only one author here, everybody want to sell their stuff here and you tell here that those themes suck and my stuff is great. Let reviewers decide? Because that sounds unfair and egotistically. Just ask envato to reject all themes except themes from elite authors and everything will be solved. Give a choice to buyers, not to authors

+1 :)

1220 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Maybe, just maybe u could section up the first page by categories, new wp themes, new html css themes new hmlt5. new psd, etc. and in the end maybe misc… i mena u have the links but… still could be more visible directly… just a tout maybe i am off.

149 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
visualkicks says

I would also like to see the home page sectioned off into categories. It might be a tiny bit too cluttered though. But having a word-press category with the 6 latest themes, followed by HTML category, followed by joomla etc etc. This way items that are quicker to make dont get as long exposure.

by
by
by
by
by
by