40 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
razzc says

I am amazed by the number of themes uploaded and approved everyday on TF. Things sure changes in 2-3 years :)

I also see a lot of them with really low sales so I am wondering, maybe it would be good to have higher standards now that we have a LOT of themes on the market?

What do you guys think?
I don’t care much about themes’ quality. If I find something that I don’t like, I simply go pass’em. However, what I would love to see is the quality of support improved. A lot of them just dump their themes for sale and not aware of service culture whatsoever. I wouldn’t mind paying more if support was made mandatory OR,buy the theme WITH support or if you feel competent then buy WITHOUT one. Sometimes I sit over an issue for upto a week waiting for support and in the end you are told ‘oh,,,this is not covered, that is not covered’! Because, according to TF, they are NOT REQUIRED to provide support.
Hi, i understand what u are talking about but also at the other hand you need to understand that for this price i think also that “Not Required” is fine.At the other hand i give support as other creatives also to all my buyers and give maybe more help than i need to do and i don’t become from that nothing and is taking me lot of my time but still happy to help someone :). But you need to now that for this price of the item i agree that support is not required. Buyers become with template lot of features, help files and much more, and i think for that price is more than enough. But i agree also that support is important part when u are selling something, no metter what if this is theme or some other product, when you create something, than is also important to give support for this product. Sorry for my english ;)

Points taken! That’s what I meant that there should be an option to pay more for better support. I used to buy themes from Template Monster and I would get live support in the middle of the night if I needed and they too would bend-over-backwards to support. They would not sleep until I am satisfied. Their themes start at around $65. I shop at TF not because they are cheap – because there is some great talent like yourself coming up with great concepts. I am too happy to up to $60 if I get full support – even once in 24 hours instead of total ignoranc.

Not many out there know how to write help docs, specially people from non English speaking backgrounds and same goew when they support you. :)

40 posts
  • Located in Australia
razzc says

Unique designs are nice, but don’t always sell well. Check out our latest theme lol (edit again: oh! 5 sales! #win). Should have added more features from the get go. Oh well.

People want a website that functions like a website. You cannot go too unique or niche otherwise it will not sell. That’s why I think some themes look the same. It’s like cars, they all look like cars.

edit: damn, hate when my random afternoon ramblings get added at the top of the page.

Agree! I have seen some authors have tried something ‘different’ and they are ‘different’ all right.

40 posts
  • Located in Australia
razzc says

I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Too many new themes are accepted, a lot of them don’t look that great at all.

A potentially really good theme can get ‘lost’ between so many other themes, simply because a buyer might get tired of browsing around and decide to settle on the next best one.
Yep. I agree.But I always buy themes from lowest selling authors because they support well. I have bought those high selling ‘great-looking’ themes but when I asked for support, I had to beg for it. They become pretty arrogant.
40 posts
  • Located in Australia
razzc says

A potentially really good theme can get ‘lost’ between so many other themes, simply because a buyer might get tired of browsing around and decide to settle on the next best one.
Yep. I agree.But I always buy themes from lowest selling authors because they support well. I have bought those high selling ‘great-looking’ themes but when I asked for support, I had to beg for it. They become pretty arrogant.
162 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
anariel7 says

I am amazed by the number of themes uploaded and approved everyday on TF. Things sure changes in 2-3 years :)

I also see a lot of them with really low sales so I am wondering, maybe it would be good to have higher standards now that we have a LOT of themes on the market?

What do you guys think?
I don’t care much about themes’ quality. If I find something that I don’t like, I simply go pass’em. However, what I would love to see is the quality of support improved. A lot of them just dump their themes for sale and not aware of service culture whatsoever. I wouldn’t mind paying more if support was made mandatory OR,buy the theme WITH support or if you feel competent then buy WITHOUT one. Sometimes I sit over an issue for upto a week waiting for support and in the end you are told ‘oh,,,this is not covered, that is not covered’! Because, according to TF, they are NOT REQUIRED to provide support.
Hi, i understand what u are talking about but also at the other hand you need to understand that for this price i think also that “Not Required” is fine.At the other hand i give support as other creatives also to all my buyers and give maybe more help than i need to do and i don’t become from that nothing and is taking me lot of my time but still happy to help someone :). But you need to now that for this price of the item i agree that support is not required. Buyers become with template lot of features, help files and much more, and i think for that price is more than enough. But i agree also that support is important part when u are selling something, no metter what if this is theme or some other product, when you create something, than is also important to give support for this product. Sorry for my english ;)

Points taken! That’s what I meant that there should be an option to pay more for better support. I used to buy themes from Template Monster and I would get live support in the middle of the night if I needed and they too would bend-over-backwards to support. They would not sleep until I am satisfied. Their themes start at around $65. I shop at TF not because they are cheap – because there is some great talent like yourself coming up with great concepts. I am too happy to up to $60 if I get full support – even once in 24 hours instead of total ignoranc.

Not many out there know how to write help docs, specially people from non English speaking backgrounds and same goew when they support you. :)

Yes that would be great, option that u can pay if you need better support for some theme. This is good idea or what they was talking about with rising up prices for templates (but still didn’t noticed nothing in this direction ;) ). Have a nice day :)

150 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
designsatnight says

Agreed. No offense but some accepted themes look horrible.

and also some very good ones get rejected.

93 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
aligatorstudio says

It sounds to me that you really DO need better quality items, although you say you don’t. Better quality means less need for support as such themes are well coded and well documented. If someone can create good documentation this should mean that the language or understanding of subject will be no problem. Asking for quality support from someone who produced theme that you like but is all wrecked inside is not going to work no matter what price you set.
Maybe setting different kind of rating (Ebay style) would help. For instance, buyer could rate look, quality, ease to use, documentation and support. That way new buyers could know better what to expect when they choose a theme.

What do you guys think?
162 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
anariel7 says

I don’t think they are arogant but they have to deal with so much questions and support because they are selling big number of themes. Also many of us have some other jobs to and need some free time to ;). I really admire to this quys, making such great themes needs lot of time and passion.I don’ t think they are arogant because of it ;)

42 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says

Maybe authors go simply crazy about the stupid questions? I mean, before buying something You should at leat know WHAT you’re buying, shouldn’t you? For example, people buy a WordPress theme and complain about not working on WordPress.com. WTF ? I ignore such requests completely. Or, people ask why WordPress says it misses the stylesheet (too lazy to unzip once more, guys?). This is bullshit. Don’t buy something if You don’t know what You’re buying, that easy. As long as support requests make sense, they’re not a problem, but buyers should think and do some researches before bothering authors with annoying support requests after having purchased a theme for 30-35$, which is somewhat too cheap. Just my 2cents about the support thing.

And back to topic: Is it just me having the impression or has been the amount of approved items reduced dramatically the last two days, maybe as a reaction for this thread? :O

5340 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

As I said before in a previous thread-the “exposure problem” on the frontpage has to be fixed. There are too many 8-10 Dollars files that kick out wordpress themes etc (and they aren’t even selling well!) If it keeps developing this way the frontpage will be full only with HTML pages, newsletter themes and 404 pages in no time. This doesn’t have to be bad-it just means for an author that it might not be worth to create a Wordpress theme but rather smart to create lower profile items as well. As soon as you can’t earn several thousand dollars with a Wordpress theme anymore, people will stop creating new ones…

I mentioned this in another thread once. One thing that would help with exposure is to somehow allow buyers to choose a default category view for the homepage category switcher. It could be a little button somewhere that says something like “show me this category first from now on”. This way WordPress buyers don’t automatically see items they aren’t interested in, and WordPress authors don’t have to always compete with other genres for exposure.

To take it even further, this question could be posed when a buyer signs up: “What products are you interested in the most”. Then the homepage thumb switcher category gets set based on their answer.

When I visit Amazon, they don’t show me the latest products added. They give me recommendations based on my viewing and buying habits. This is sort of the same idea.

by
by
by
by
by
by