151 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
starshade says

Maybe authors go simply crazy about the stupid questions? I mean, before buying something You should at leat know WHAT you’re buying, shouldn’t you? For example, people buy a WordPress theme and complain about not working on WordPress.com. WTF ? I ignore such requests completely. Or, people ask why WordPress says it misses the stylesheet (too lazy to unzip once more, guys?). This is bullshit. Don’t buy something if You don’t know what You’re buying, that easy. As long as support requests make sense, they’re not a problem, but buyers should think and do some researches before bothering authors with annoying support requests after having purchased a theme for 30-35$, which is somewhat too cheap. Just my 2cents about the support thing. And back to topic: Is it just me having the impression or has been the amount of approved items reduced dramatically the last two days, maybe as a reaction for this thread? :O

About unzipping, they just don’t know, it’s not about being lazy. When I released my latest theme back 2 months ago, I was surprised by the number of clients saying the installation fails only because they didn’t unzip. And even though I have answered the question lots of time, every now and then someone will come with this question. They simply don’t know how the archive they purchase is structured.

About the impression from your last paragraph, I suppose not unfortunately – it’s just the weekend and reviewers usually don’t work / work less Saturday and Sunday. It’s always a bit more quiet around here in weekends…

93 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Located in Europe
+3 more
aligatorstudio says

It would be nice if Envato added “Download tutorial”, “What will I get when I download the file” link or something like that in sidebar on Downloads page. Maybe something simple like that would prevent at least some confusion from buyers and another “The theme is broken!” comment.

812 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

Just curious guys how do you decide which theme is cool and which isn’t? Isn’t that a personal taste of the author? Everyone wants a theme to be on the first page, but excuse me, you are not the only one author here, everybody want to sell their stuff here and you tell here that those themes suck and my stuff is great. Let reviewers decide? Because that sounds unfair and egotistically. Just ask envato to reject all themes except themes from elite authors and everything will be solved. Give a choice to buyers, not to authors

+1 totally agree.

812 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
iamthwee says

Also in regards to copycatting.

I think we can all agree that we’re getting to a point where in terms of features, themes are more or less going to have the same things… So in the future the only separating factor will be theme’s design.

42 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+2 more
indiapart says

I think we can all agree that we’re getting to a point where in terms of features, themes are more or less going to have the same things… So in the future the only separating factor will be theme’s design.

... which is the main purpose of a theme still, isn’t it?

StampReadyTemplates
StampReadyTemplates Recent Posts Threads Started
42 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
StampReadyTemplates says

Just a note, would it help to have the option to set your own price on the Themes you release. And have the option to give it a first week discount, etc. Same thing Apple Store does.

Just my 2 cents.

~ Kev

812 posts
iamthwee says

... which is the main purpose of a theme still, isn’t it?

Perhaps, your design in photoshop or whatever, is constrained to some degree by what you can code in .css. So even here you are limited.

What I meant in terms of copycatting, is probably more to do with code. At the moment it seems going responsive with that parallex slider thing seems to be very popular. So this tends to be the most copycatted ATM .

I mean, before the 3D cuber was all the rage… In time, something else may replace the parallax slider – which is essentially just jquery sprites animating in for different slides.

But like I said, I think we’re getting to a point where a lot of themes are more or less duplicated in some way or another. But quality if we’re only talking design here, is highly subjective.

Dtbaker makes a good point here. Btw I noticed your theme got accepted- great stuff. I remember seeing that one in the item discussion.

29 posts
    Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Argentina Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
aprjnet says

Hi everybody!

I have observed the BIG numbers of new themes that are approved every day! Few months ago, I bought one theme that didn’t work, with a lot’s of bugs! Talking with the author a lot of times, he tried to make others versions, and nothing. Conclusion: I’m bought other SIMILAR theme! SPENDING my time and money too.

Well, 6 months ago, I decide to work selling themes here! It’s not a simple task. It’s not only creative, but QUALITY and THIS is the most important item. For those reasons I’m studying 16 hours/day Html5, Css3, Responsive grids, Wordpress, jQuery, etc. I have one new theme that’s is coming soon! I have put months of dedication, testing it with my friends, asking people about the quality, and other things.

It’s not copying and pasting code! We have to test it… and make it EASY to people buy and really use! A good tutorial, documentation, with illustration, sample content, videos, etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by