• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says
if you want to know who’s bought your file just provide him with a reason to tell that to you.

For example. make some intentional bug in the item, bug that can’t be detected by the reviewer (else your item will not get approved), but that bug should drive the buyer crazy and contact you about the issue.

Then you just ask for forgiveness for the “mistake” you’ve made, and provide him with a update. Mean time you get to know who it is.

There’s a “small” chance that the person will never buy anything from you in the future, or, this will happen more rarely, come back after you to kick your butt. But this its a small price to pay for knowing who bought your files.

That’s really bad advice, doru, please don’t suggest that authors should upload items with intentional bugs. That would really kill the integrity of the marketplace.

In regards to the original question regarding identity of customers, we don’t do that because of privacy concerns. Envato respects the privacy of all customers, it’s as simple as that.

Doru! What planet are you on :D

8119 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says
if you want to know who’s bought your file just provide him with a reason to tell that to you.

For example. make some intentional bug in the item, bug that can’t be detected by the reviewer (else your item will not get approved), but that bug should drive the buyer crazy and contact you about the issue.

Then you just ask for forgiveness for the “mistake” you’ve made, and provide him with a update. Mean time you get to know who it is.

There’s a “small” chance that the person will never buy anything from you in the future, or, this will happen more rarely, come back after you to kick your butt. But this its a small price to pay for knowing who bought your files.

yeah, thats really not cool…

3650 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says
or, this will happen more rarely, come back after you to kick your butt. But this its a small price to pay for knowing who bought your files.

I sincerely hope one of them stands up soon and gives you a smooth kick in the butt! :D Payback is a b-something. ;)

270 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
magickaito says
Or you can simply embed some artfully hidden text(a dynamic textfeild that won’t pop up as a symbol) in your SWFs and then do a google search on the embedded text…Google can crawl SWFs now…Great technique for trackbacks…

creative +1

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says
...forget about buyers personal details, leave the policing to Evato and go and have a few beers and chill out.

+1

1080 posts
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
damojo says

Hope this is just a bad joke… :)

26 posts
  • United Kingdom
buggerlugs says
Or you can simply embed some artfully hidden text(a dynamic textfeild that won’t pop up as a symbol) in your SWFs and then do a google search on the embedded text…Google can crawl SWFs now…Great technique for trackbacks…

I find this suggestion quite deceptive and distasteful – If you are going down that spyware route you should tell people so they can avoid your stuff like the plague.

I have no problem letting people know I bought their stuff but then I dont list any websites I own or websites I develop because thats my business and with all respect – none of your business.

If you want to go the spyware route then I do have a problem with your products and wouldnt buy another item from this site or any authors connected with it.

1236 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Won a Competition
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
HarveyDesign Volunteer moderator says

i think doru was just trieing to be sarcastic / make a joke, hopefully i’m right and they were not serious :D !

6770 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says
i think doru was just trieing to be sarcastic / make a joke, hopefully i’m right and they were not serious :D !

no, I use that trick all the time. Its fantastic. You just have to do that and you will know immediately who bought your file. :D

Disclaimer for serious people:

This post and the previous one are just a sarcastic way to let you realize that who bought a file have the right to remain anonymous. If you still think that you, as an author have the right to know who its paying money for your item, just realize how funny it will be if every time you ho to a supermarket to buy some milk you will have to show up your documents. yeah that will be funny.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I don’t care who buys my files, just as long as they pay with cash :P

by