171 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
SiamJai says
If the file contains any images, using a reverse image search engine like tineye might bring up some users. Just don’t be surprised if the number of results will be higher than the number of sales! :P
Thanks for the info on tineye, really nice!

You’re welcome, Der. I’m glad someone else finds it useful too! :)

41 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
dalemo says
There’s a “small” chance that the person will never buy anything from you in the future, or, this will happen more rarely, come back after you to kick your butt. But this its a small price to pay for knowing who bought your files.

Using rude words is not a good thing and i think everyone has to be more careful using words because not everyone has the same sense of humor.

wisdom says: much fun less prestige

1480 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says
if you want to know who’s bought your file just provide him with a reason to tell that to you.

For example. make some intentional bug in the item, bug that can’t be detected by the reviewer (else your item will not get approved), but that bug should drive the buyer crazy and contact you about the issue.

Then you just ask for forgiveness for the “mistake” you’ve made, and provide him with a update. Mean time you get to know who it is.

There’s a “small” chance that the person will never buy anything from you in the future, or, this will happen more rarely, come back after you to kick your butt. But this its a small price to pay for knowing who bought your files.
That’s really bad advice, doru, please don’t suggest that authors should upload items with intentional bugs. That would really kill the integrity of the marketplace.

or this

As a buyer, a very bad idea! Comments like this just take down your credibility (and sales for sure)...

It is really scary to see how much people lack the sense of humor.
Come on guys, how old are really you ? is this the first joke you’ve seen on a forum ?
Should jokes have always a : :) or ;) or :D smiley ?
Man… it’s really scary because people who are supposed to be in art field (visual or audio) don’t have imagination and common sense to discern jokes from serious talk.

quoted myself for justice

116 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
finsta2 says

How about this then?

Add an extra file in the readme. Make it a link to your site and put a survey on there. Be fair everyone no embedding cookies or ip tracking…

38 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in United States
arunk says

even though i dont have MUCH experience from finding out who all bought my files, since I only have two purchases, I was really curious to see who my first two buyers were. I wanted to give my personal thanks for buying my music and i didnt know who to do it to. So such a feature would be totally cool

+1 from me :)

1718 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+6 more
Firsh says
That’s really bad advice, doru, please don’t suggest that authors should upload items with intentional bugs. That would really kill the integrity of the marketplace.

+1

I’d like to know where my files are used too, but with not that much desperation to place intetnional bugs, my gosh :)

4339 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

This is an old topic that has been discussed over and over again.

Same reply now as always. Customers have the right to privacy,therefore they will only contact us if they are interested, if not the authors might find e-mails and sort and make offers or who knows what other crazy stuff.

This is the best way to keep customer – seller relations perfect. Business is business, if you want to invite him to a coffee post in item description :D

Can someone lock this one as well? old and useless…

3135 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Daniel_R says
if you want to know who’s bought your file just provide him with a reason to tell that to you.

For example. make some intentional bug in the item, bug that can’t be detected by the reviewer (else your item will not get approved), but that bug should drive the buyer crazy and contact you about the issue.

Then you just ask for forgiveness for the “mistake” you’ve made, and provide him with a update. Mean time you get to know who it is.

I remember a topic like this one a while ago….yes indeed Enabled

as a buyer…I don’t authors to mess up with my privacy… lol!

Becareful with the bugs though…that’s why I always get bugs in your files Doru…nah..just kidding! your work is amazing!

4339 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

I remember a topic like this one a while ago….yes indeed Enabled

as a buyer…I don’t authors to mess up with my privacy… lol!

Becareful with the bugs though…that’s why I always get bugs in your files Doru…nah..just kidding! your work is amazing!

What about my files? :D buy one! :))))

2206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I think this would be a great idea i don’t see a big deal about being so secretive on who buys our files. I am also a buyer not just an author and i really could not care less if the author knew if i bought his/her files.

This would be great for protection of the envato community, mainly the files that we sell here.

Just my 2cents

Cheers

by
by
by
by
by
by