2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
blueprairie says

I’ve downloaded a few templates from here and other places and have found most documentation to be a bit sparse at best and simply incorrect at worst.

I used to write technical user documentation for a Fortune 100 company, so perhaps I have unreasonably high expectations, but I imagine that as developers/designers you may be having to answer many questions personally through email or the forum because novice users aren’t able to jump from point A to C without point B being spelled out in the directions.

So, I’m wondering if there is a market for developers who would want to purchase custom documentation for you templates.

Thoughts?

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

This is a really interesting idea, and I think it’d be incredibly useful for most buyers out there. The question is what the cost of said documentation services might be – considering that a good portion of templates on here only sell between 10 and 50 pieces over the initial period of release (let’s say 2 months), at a rate of 40% per product that’s just $300 per author – I could see paying $15 for extensive, quality documentation, but anything over that might just pinch authors too tightly.

I should not that that’s certainly not what I think the actual value of that documentation is – high quality documentation probably ranges into the thousands of dollars – it’s just what I can see the market bearing.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

699 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

Try downloading mine ;)

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

One reason some of the template documentation files are a bit sparse is because authors don’t want to spend the extra time basically teaching someone how to edit HTML and/or CSS . The documentation files cover what is necessary for the template but beyond that it isn’t really the author’s responsibility.

Of course, the better the documentation, the higher value an item has. Plus, you’ll have fewer support requests and happier customers.

Personally I wouldn’t buy documentation since I would rather do it myself. Then again though, I don’t want to spend the time making it so if it was a really good template then I might be tempted into it, lol.

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
blueprairie says

Thank you all for your feedback. I appreciate it. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by