• Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

I’m just putting a feeler out specifically to people who develop WordPress themes for outside clients (this is not directed towards ThemeForest authors).

I know that when I’m creating themes for clients, I always provide an instructions packet for them to do basic stuff on their sites like updating content or theme specific widgets and stuff. Nearly every client has a separate set of instructions because of the way each theme varies. As with creating items for the marketplace, the instructions are always the last thing on my list and always the most grueling thing to complete.

My question to you is have you ever or would you consider outsourcing this task to an outside company or freelancer? For example, you would provide the theme and a list of tasks you want explained to your client and in return you would get screencasts or PDF documentation of how the client can complete those tasks?

1841 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

A) You are going to pay a few bucks and the quality of such docs will be unacceptable, even not worth doing any corrections.

or

B ) You are going to pay hundreds of dollars and yet you will spend tons of time on preparing the materials for the person who should be doing it. Then you will spend tons of time on the correction of such docs. If there are any screencasts, then you are screwed because you can’t edit them easily.

or

C) You are going to pay thousands of dollars and it will be taken care of – IF you find the right guy.

So… my solution?

Two days ago I ordered a mic on ebay (blue yeti pro + pop filter) and I am going to learn to speak to my audience on my own. I am from europe so my english is not very good, but I will keep trying. Maybe making a fun out of it could help with my motivation too.

Screencasts will be recorded in fullHD and stored on vimeo PRO account. iShowU seems like a good app for recording the screen. Still not sure what app to use for editing, maybe iMovie since I’ve already purchased it some time ago. Each screencast will then have some short text descriptions, sort of a step by step guide without much explanation.

I have also found that:

If you have your documentation in screencasts only, 10% will complain why there are no text docs.

If you have your documentation in text only, 50% will complain that they do not understand and that your theme sucks. The percentage could be lower but you would have to write like tens of pages. I remember one theme here that had 100 page docs and people still complained omg.

So the solution will be: Tons of screencasts with 10% of text :)

1947 posts Do the Needful
  • Envato Staff
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
  • Support Staff
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+7 more
JamiGibbs Staff says

Awesome feedback. Thanks Fresh! As with most “services”, you definitely get what you pay for.

I’ve also experimented with finding the best way to make the instructions (whether it be PDF , HTML, or screencast). A combination of text and video does seem to be the best way to go. Thanks a lot for giving me your experience with it all. Very helpful!

by
by
by
by
by
by