922 posts Go Acoustic!
    Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
jhunger says

I’m starting this thread with full knowledge that it’s a tired subject and can invoke some heated opinions…

Mainly it’s sort of a continuation of this conversation here but on a separate thread so that the original thread is not hijacked by an off topic detour.

Anyway, what do you think – would you rather sell 1 track for $150 or 10 tracks for $15? Would it make a difference if the $100 sale were a big name corporation and the 10 smaller sales were small time players with amateur YouTube channels? What if the smaller sales were all big name corporations – would you feel cheated?

I’ve gone into this royalty free game with the Pollyanna mindset that I’d rather sell RF tracks at a rate similar to what the prices are at AudioJungle now, or not much more. My reasoning (backed by nothing but personal anecdotal evidence) is that with the fairly recent explosion of video streaming sites a whole new marketplace has opened comprising smaller time producers on a shoestring budget willing to buy a song in a $10-20 range, but unable to spring for a more traditionally priced soundtrack.

In a sense, music is being devalued to a point because corporate buyers, who can and have paid much more for these types of tracks in the past, are now able to buy them for far less. But my belief is that this is more than offset by the potential volume of sales that didn’t exist even a few years ago. Price a track at $150, and now your potential pool of buyers is severely limited.

What do you think? Is music being devalued, or is it a necessary adjustment to the changing state of the market that makes high quality creative work available to a far wider audience?

1465 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
Mihai_Sorohan says

Exposure is important, so I would go with 10×15. On another hand, wouldn’t be bad a 10×150… :p

409 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Canada Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
joesacco says

I would go with the 1 sale for 150$ because that would probably mean that it would get more exposure to bigger buyers :grin:

59 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
carloscerrato says

I’d rather have 10 sales at $15. Yes, music has become “cheaper”, but what has happened is that it is now more accesible for people with talent to show off their music to the world. More technology at lower prices means I can own a moderately-priced home studio and distribute my music to the world just using an internet connection. It will, of course, give birth to many mediocre music and tracks, but it will also open the opportunity for talented musicians who were constrained by economical, political or distance boundaries to distribute their music and open themselves to a global market. I have, for example, made my music available and have sold it through this site, something I could have never done with traditional music licensing, let alone where I live (Honduras, Central America).

That’s why, even though music has become “cheaper” for corporate buyers, and the public in general, I don’t think it has become “devaluated”, it’s the form of global distribution through digital media and the internet that has made it more available, thus, lowering its price.

748 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
guitarjock says

I’d rather have 10 sales at $15. Yes, music has become “cheaper”, but what has happened is that it is now more accesible for people with talent to show off their music to the world. More technology at lower prices means I can own a moderately-priced home studio and distribute my music to the world just using an internet connection. It will, of course, give birth to many mediocre music and tracks, but it will also open the opportunity for talented musicians who were constrained by economical, political or distance boundaries to distribute their music and open themselves to a global market. I have, for example, made my music available and have sold it through this site, something I could have never done with traditional music licensing, let alone where I live (Honduras, Central America). That’s why, even though music has become “cheaper” for corporate buyers, and the public in general, I don’t think it has become “devaluated”, it’s the form of global distribution through digital media and the internet that has made it more available, thus, lowering its price.

I agree with Carloserrato,

Music is “cheaper” because of the economics related to technology and the “supply and demand” of audio. This is all a natural effect of the “invisible hand” of the market. In general….it is good for everyone…...I did say “in general.” It’s not so great for everyone. But for the majority it is good.

One important thing many of us authors need to realize is that the cost for us to create music has come down drastically as to what it was just a few years ago. Being that it is now less costly to create, we should expect to request less in compensation as compared to then….but we have the benefit of a greater pool of potential buyers. We can still earn a great deal under these economic conditions.

So it is good for the majority…authors can still earn a great deal….more people can make music…...and more people can buy it!

773 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

Hello! I’ve met on the Internet sites where the music is not cheap. In addition, the site is on the main page says that works with many large TV companies and TV channels. As for AJ, then in my opinion, it is more suitable for small-scale producers and developers.

I would choose the 10×15, well, like everyone else, would not mind 10×150))

699 posts
    Located in Poland Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Won a Most Wanted contest Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

Number of sales probably gives you higher positions in ratings here. In my portfolio most realistic is 150×1$ :). It’s 150 times of smile on my face.

773 posts
    Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+1 more
StudioEtude says

Number of sales probably gives you higher positions in ratings here. In my portfolio most realistic is 150×1$ :). It’s 150 times of smile on my face.

+1))

199 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
LGuitarB says

it’s strange, between my two bestselling songs one of them has many regular licences and the other one several extended ones, resulting in not much difference in revenue, although the first one sold more times.

Generally, I’d like more smaller sales, also because of the potential of it, it means more of your protfolio has bene noticed.

With the pricing as it is on AudioJungle you’d need to sell eacht song about 20 times on average to reach decent houry rate, or would I be spending too much time on them?

2118 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

+1 :)

In the end, it all comes down to $150. And since most buyers don’t bother to give a credit (as they don’t have to) or even drop a message to notify us about their project(s), I don’t think it would matter so much if there were more smaller sales rather than one large…

Although, if you’re used to a lot of sales (like we, sound guys are :) ) then a single BIG sale can really boost the ego, will and determination ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by