• Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
adiacone says

Hey guys!

I’m trying to submit a new WordPress theme to ThemeForest and it got rejected.

I have no problem with that, I’ve been freelancing for the last few years and worked with dozens of clients from all over the world. I encourage feedback and I perfectly understand that positive criticism is part of a better design process. However, it’s my opinion that this wasn’t the case now.

Here are some screens and info about the theme: Home Page – http://twitpic.com/12k722 and Blog Page – http://twitpic.com/12k73q. The theme has a widget ready footer and a simple admin panel (for editing the homepage carousel and some social links) and uses the kind of layout you see on most photographer blogs or on Big Picture – http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/.

Here’s the feedback I received:

Here are a few improvements you might consider making before resubmitting:

1. Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as graphics, layout, colors, etc. 2. There are some spacing issues, the contact page is blank, the blog is a bit odd, etc.

Please keep in mind that the issues mentioned above may not be all the issues that need to be improved or fixed. Please review your template to ensure any additional issues not listed above have been fixed before resubmitting.

So what disappointed me the most is the fact that I waited a few days for what is basically a generic, subjective reply that doesn’t say anything about how I can improve the theme. Not only that, but the last paragraph is mind numbing, talking about mind reading and stuff.

I personally am proud of the theme and I would use it on any personal or client project. Sure, it’s not graphics heavy or colorful like some other themes, but I consider that to be a good thing! It’s clean, professional, suitable for blogs featuring beautiful photography and it’s easy to update, if anyone wants to take the graphics to another level.

I’ve been a great supporter of ThemeForest so far and I’m honestly sorry to have to say this, but I’m seriously considering closing my “operations” here (I had a lot of themes mocked and ready to go) and going solo.

Sorry for the long rant and thanks for bearing with me! I just wanted confirmation that I’m not going crazy here. If you guys say I am crazy and that the theme is not on par with ThemeForest “current quality standards”, then I’ll quietly wait for their reply to my feedback and see what I can do.

P.S. I’m waiting on that reply for a few days now, but from what I read on other posts, this is nothing new. So if YOU have feedback, I would appreciate it!

2213 posts
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
crozer says
Here are a few improvements you might consider making before resubmitting:

1. Your template has a good start but, as we have high standards, you will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as graphics, layout, colors, etc. 2. There are some spacing issues, the contact page is blank, the blog is a bit odd, etc.

Please keep in mind that the issues mentioned above may not be all the issues that need to be improved or fixed. Please review your template to ensure any additional issues not listed above have been fixed before resubmitting.

I find that part actually interesting as I got 99.9% the same answer – I guess it’s just a template for answers. In any case, I also find it disappointing how they consider your blog to be “a big odd, etc.”, when the whole goal not to get rejected and to have some success now, is to be creative and come up with new layouts, new schemes, new designs and new ideas.

I got rejected because my template didn’t pass their high aesthetics criteria and overall design expectations – Anyway, a close friend of mine told me that, in his honest opinion, my theme was actually acceptale for their so called ‘aesthetic criteria’, however, there’s just too much of it in TF; so I wonder, shouldn’t then your blog-page be something they’re precisely looking for?

I am sorry for not providing you with any feedback, but I also just had to drop out some of my confusion towards this rejection system and maybe critize it a bit – in a constructive manner.

152 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
wppowered says

Ok it’s not graphic heavy but i think for the niche it’s made for i think it’s perfect!

I would you use it for one of my clients without a doubt.

I think the reviewer was being a little harsh on this one!

78 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
adiacone says

That’s what I thought: I should try to cover other niches. I’m sure many photographers would love to have theme like this one. Not to mention many designers would make lots of money by grabbing this theme, taking a few hours to create a header and add some customization and sell it to clients for lots of money. Talk about being efficient!

152 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
wppowered says

I think you should contact them and maybe ask for another reviewer to review it!

What i find a little funny is this part

Isn’t it the reviewer who should find all these issues that need to be improved or fixed to save time, just in-case maybe being rejected again next time.

152 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
wppowered says

I think you should contact them and maybe ask for another reviewer to review it!

What i find a little funny is this part

Isn’t it the reviewer who should find all these issues that need to be improved or fixed to save time, just in-case maybe being rejected again next time.

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

I like it a lot, although you must admit it is pretty plain. I think a regal, tileable background for the left and right sides would give it a much better chance though.

Good luck!

78 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
adiacone says
I like it a lot, although you must admit it is pretty plain. I think a regal, tileable background for the left and right sides would give it a much better chance though. Good luck!

I know exactly what you mean! I thought about adding a background like that and also some floral separators and stuff, but I felt someone looking for a manly design wouldn’t appreciate that. Plus it’s super easy to add something like that!

738 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Jar says

Maybe you could try out multiple backgrounds and then offer them all? A few floral ones, regal, manly, etc… That would surely increase your chance of getting accepted.

78 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
adiacone says
Maybe you could try out multiple backgrounds and then offer them all? A few floral ones, regal, manly, etc… That would surely increase your chance of getting accepted.

Yeah, I’ll probably do that. But not on ThemeForest anymore.

by
by
by
by
by
by