• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Anyone looked into this yet? It seems that 3.6 will be implementing custom metaboxes per selected post-format. This basically means quite a large re-write of my framework, but I support it at the same time as it will keep themes a bit more lightweight.

What are your thoughts on this so far?

127 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Norway
Veuse says

I am looking forward to this, but I hope they implement all the necessary fields to insert html5 video, and not only a textarea for embed-code for youtube/vimeo. That is what it seems like at the moment.

Also, is it really necessary to have another field for image on image post-formats? Why can they not just use the featured image?

1070 posts
  • Forum Superstar
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says

Source?

1174 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I am looking forward to this, but I hope they implement all the necessary fields to insert html5 video, and not only a textarea for embed-code for youtube/vimeo. That is what it seems like at the moment. Also, is it really necessary to have another field for image on image post-formats? Why can they not just use the featured image?

I’m thinking exactly this, currently we’re still going to need to call a custom metabox for HTML5 video, which seems counter-productive to this entire process, I hope this gets improved.

Source?

No source, running 3.6 bleeding edge build and investigating as the changes happen, only just loaded it in though so these metaboxes have probably been there a while, still, it’s probably going to mean one HUGE update queue on here when 3.6 takes place..

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says
491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

Right now all post formats are shown, regardless theme support, not sure if because still wip or it will work this way. Also i personally don’t like the custom metaboxes being above the editor.

174 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

Im in the middle of creating a tumblog style theme for release when 3.6 does finally land. My gripes so far:

- I haven’t figured out a way to add additional metafields above the content window along with all the other new metafields. Meaning, if I want to add more options for some post formats they need to go below the post content. Which is where they would normally go – but thats going to be really troublesome for people to change things to 2 places now.

- I haven’t figured out an easy / lightweight way to customise the media player that self hosted video and audio are now wrapped in using the new “the_post_format_video()” tag. I used to use jplayer and a mix of custom metafields which for me and the users was a lot easier to manage. Also self hosted videos dont have a holding image? its just grey. Im guessing ill need to make my own function.

Everything else is master-card. If anyone has the answer to the above let me know.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

- I haven’t figured out a way to add additional metafields above the content window along with all the other new metafields. Meaning, if I want to add more options for some post formats they need to go below the post content. Which is where they would normally go – but thats going to be really troublesome for people to change things to 2 places now.
Last time i checked there was no hook to customize that area. I feel the core team wants that area to be consistent regardless the theme so there could be no way to customize its content.
174 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

Last time i checked there was no hook to customize that area. I feel the core team wants that area to be consistent regardless the theme so there could be no way to customize its content.

Hmmm, well that does make sense. Thanks for the reply though, I guess i can give up on doing that :)

by
by
by
by
by
by