• Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

That’s what the documentation is for.

Are you making a website for a client or are you recreating lorem ipsum text for shits and gigs? I don’t see why you would want all those garbage categories, tags, posts, pages, etc trashing up your database.

4188 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says
flixflix said

I can truly understand your frustration. I have worked with customers that said the same thing. The templates here have a huge quality, and we have some pretty good reviewers! But, that is why they are called “stock templates”. You purchase them at a low price, and have to modify them, and of course, that is why it’s called a demonstration! It demonstrates what the template CAN do if you read the documentation and implement the features.

You must understand, authors here, are not all top sellers and not all make a fortune, some don’t find it “feasible” to implement XML ’s , sql files and whatever to give out the demo content exactly how it is shown. They put out a manual ( which takes a lot of time to write anyway ) which if you read, and the documentation is ” Well documented ” should answer absolutely all your questions regarding the file!

Of course, you can say But the demo looks one way and what I bought looks another way . Yes, that is again correct, but, authors can say “It’s a demo, if your read the manual, you can make it look exactly like the demo.”

I hope you understand my point.

And as a final suggestions, if you wish to purchase a file from now on, ask the author on his item discussions section ” Does your file look exactly like this demo file when installed? Do you have an XML export? “

That way, your frustration can be solved in a very easy way! It does not have what you seek for, you do not purchase, both parties are happy!

I hope I didn’t offend you in any way! It was simply my point of view on this matter :)

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
christopherjon says

This is slightly off-topic but it’s the reason buyers are having these problems in the first place.

A) Themes are getting too large and too complex. It’s becoming difficult to find themes that are what you see is what you get.

People look for something they like, buy it, install it and they expect the results to be close to what they thought they purchased.

When a WordPress theme has a learning curve, you know there is a problem. Nobody wants to spend an entire weekend trying to figure out how a theme works just to recreate a website that looks like the demo. That defeats the purpose of buying a WordPress theme in the first place.

B) The review process seems to favor complex themes over simpler themes that have a specific layout and do a specific job really well. It’s as if the whole reason why people buy a WordPress theme (simplicity) has been forgotten.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
duotive says
christopherjon said
When a WordPress theme has a learning curve, you know there is a problem. Nobody wants to spend an entire weekend trying to figure out how a theme works just to recreate a website that looks like the demo. That defeats the purpose of buying a WordPress theme in the first place.

If you create a wordpress theme in a weekend and it gets accepted on themeforest + gets sales you are THE MASTER OF THEM ALL

christopherjon said
B) The review process seems to favor complex themes over simpler themes that have a specific layout and do a specific job really well. It’s as if the whole reason why people buy a WordPress theme (simplicity) has been forgotten.

And all the websites created with that theme look exactly the same, how would want that?

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says

DT, you missed the point completely. Might want to reread what I wrote. No point arguing or trying to explain.

137 posts Ahoy, me Hearties!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
ChrisMooney says

Interesting discussion. I’m actually going to stop providing the demo content XML to customers as it creates more problems than it solves. As others have already mentioned importing the XML never recreates the demo content 100% and I’ve even had users more confused by the pages it setups up. In extreme cases a user will import the XML more than once and then have tons of pages to deal with (especially fun :S).

I think more effort into providing good documentation is a better solution.

548 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says
christopherjon said
Been self-employed for around three years myself. I miss human contact and sunlight.

One thing we can agree on :) 3 Years was long enough for me.

438 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
christopherjon says
One thing we can agree on 3 Years was long enough for me.
I’ve been looking around for part-time stuff. Anything to get me out of the house a couple hours a day and interacting with people.

for fun:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home
548 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
tonvie says
christopherjon said
I’ve been looking around for part-time stuff. Anything to get me out of the house a couple hours a day and interacting with people.

for fun:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home

Lol. The beard hit home…definitely been there hehe.

157 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
ThemeFields says
christopherjon said
People look for something they like, buy it, install it and they expect the results to be close to what they thought they purchased.

And thats why we developed one click demo data installation. In our themes you can setup a website which looks exactly as in our demo version.

Good advice for all authors. It’s not that hard to write such functionality. Try it instead of simple xml files.

by
by
by
by
by
by