56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
stacigh says

What’s the best way to customize the comment thread in WP? I see the code I want to edit in the comment template.php file but should I edit it here or…? I just want to remove some things… like the link from the comment meta to the comment you’re currently reading (really, this seems pointless) and I also want to move things around. I’m aprehensive about editing the comment tempate file because of the whole upgrading thing. But I’m not really sure what else I could do to edit the physical makeup of the comment thread and still be able to upgrade WP without killing the layout.

Basically, I want to do something very similar to what Orman Clark has here: http://themes.premiumpixels.com/classica/?p=215#more-215

And here’s a sample of the comment thread I have but am I’m trying to redo: http://testserver1.staceylanehosting.net/2011/uncategorized/test-article-for-debugging-purposes-only/

Thoughts?

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

This is a really great link containing a majority of the CSS classes you can use to style WordPress threaded comments:

http://cdharrison.com/2008/12/03/threaded-comments/

You can do pretty much any changes to the comments through the style sheet.

56 posts
+2 more
stacigh says
JamiGibbs said
This is a really great link containing a majority of the CSS classes you can use to style WordPress threaded comments: http://cdharrison.com/2008/12/03/threaded-comments/ You can do pretty much any changes to the comments through the style sheet.

Thanks for the reply. =)

I actually ended up stumbling upon this in my search for an answer and disregarded it somewhat because it was written around the time of WP 2 .7. I did copy and paste into my stylesheet but it just felt too simple.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Cool. Glad you found it already!

Not sure what you mean by it being too simple though. It’s quite comprehensive. You still need to add your own styles to it. It’s just a nice framework so you can see all of the different classes you can control in the comments area and adjust them to suit your needs.

254 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
PabloFierro says

Instead of adding all those css styles, why not use only the thing your theme needs ? Create a custom comments display function.

That way you will control how and what styles are being used with your comments.

56 posts
+2 more
stacigh says
proxdeveloper said
Instead of adding all those css styles, why not use only the thing your theme needs ? Create a custom comments display function. That way you will control how and what styles are being used with your comments.

See, I think this is what I’m looking for but I’m not quite sure how to do it. Do you have an article you recommend that I can read to learn more? I checked the codec but that’s really low level stuff right there and I’m somewhere between high level and low level.This is the first WP theme I’ve created so that’s why I might come across as a bit of a noob.

As for the css being simple – CSS doesn’t intimidate me in the slightest. However, being that this is my first theme, the functions and PHP stuff is a bit alien to me. Ultimately, what I was thinking I’d need to do was edit the PHP function files to high hell (which is what I’m sure I need to do but I’m just not sure how to do it).

56 posts
+2 more
stacigh says
stacigh said
proxdeveloper said
Instead of adding all those css styles, why not use only the thing your theme needs ? Create a custom comments display function. That way you will control how and what styles are being used with your comments.

See, I think this is what I’m looking for but I’m not quite sure how to do it. Do you have an article you recommend that I can read to learn more? I checked the codec but that’s really low level stuff right there and I’m somewhere between high level and low level.This is the first WP theme I’ve created so that’s why I might come across as a bit of a noob.

As for the css being simple – CSS doesn’t intimidate me in the slightest. However, being that this is my first theme, the functions and PHP stuff is a bit alien to me. Ultimately, what I was thinking I’d need to do was edit the PHP function files to high hell (which is what I’m sure I need to do but I’m just not sure how to do it).

Disregard. I found an article that explains in noob terms what everything means. It’s riddled with errors but between the codec and the article, I’m good.

Thanks for the lead. =)

by
by
by
by
by
by