33 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
cac003 says

This question probable has been answered already, but I couldn’t find it. Are we allowed to use a WP framework (like Genesis, Thematic, Toolbox) as a starting point to build our own theme and then sell it here on Themeforest? Just curious…

31 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Ireland
  • Exclusive Author
AMcDermott says

I’m also interested in this question, as I’m currently looking at either developing my own framework, or basing our themes on an existing framework.

The PHP for all WordPress themes is by definition GPL – the non-GPL’d components are images, JS and CSS . So using a framework should be absolutely fine, but I am not a lawyer :)

I’d like to know what frameworks the authors here are using, and if there are licensing issues as well as any technical issues that are worthwhile considering.

56 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
libra-online says

although i didn’t upload anything here yet, i think i can say something here. i tried a lot of frameworks, but in the end i decided i want my own.

with borrowed frameworks you cannot give the quality support the clients need. and if you get to the point where you can, you already know that a custom framework, made by you is the best option.

i admit, it takes a lot of time to develop a really flexible and logical framework, but it is worth it. you learn a lot, and produce quality code.

23 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
knowmax says

although i didn’t upload anything here yet, i think i can say something here. i tried a lot of frameworks, but in the end i decided i want my own.

with borrowed frameworks you cannot give the quality support the clients need. and if you get to the point where you can, you already know that a custom framework, made by you is the best option.

i admit, it takes a lot of time to develop a really flexible and logical framework, but it is worth it. you learn a lot, and produce quality code.
Can you share how much time does it take to develope a good enough framework?
56 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
libra-online says

well for me it took half a year :( only now i can begin to make designs based on it.

i am convinced though that a good template takes time to make. i only use framework for drupal, because i am not interested to make premium themes for it, and for the clients it is enough.

do not feel offended in any way, and don’t just take my word for this, frameworks are good to a point. my opinion is that investing the time to create your own returns that investment on many levels.

by
by
by
by
by
by