(Locked) WP Multilingual themes have on average 3 times more sales than non-multilingual WP themes

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

reported an increase of at least 30% in sales

An increase of 30% is not 3 times more, which would be an increase of 300% :)

23 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
ZxxxZ says
Well, as I see it:
  • at least 30% increase in sales meaning there are some themes with more than 30% sales increase after adding multilingual functionality,
  • it does not say anything about themes with that functionality build-in from the start (so change in sales could not be compared)
  • 3x more sales is about the whole market, not only themes which added multilingual functionality after some time.
  • also we do not know how well those reported themes were selling before adding that functionality – they could be like 1.5x the average for example (eg. theme regulary updated by author)

Any way I would believe both claims.

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
deckerweb says

It seems a common misconception to think that if a theme is “WPML compatible” you’re done with internationalization (i18n). That is not true!

Internationalization of WordPress themes and plugins is much more than adding a little “wpml-config.xml” file to your theme. The foundation of any i18n ready theme & plugin is the proper usage of all existing WordPress (and Gettext) i18n functions and standards. That includes among other stuff: - unified textdomain - EVERY string for frontend and backend is translateable - proper usage of WP’s i18n functions (less markup as possoble etc.) - no constant or variable as textdomain - as much as possible every error message is also translateable

There are dozens of other so-called “multilingual plugins”, WPML may be popular but is not the only one!

Don’t only prepare for one plugin on the market—this strategy may lock you in long-time. Make your themes and plugins translateable following the standards and you will be on the safe side!

The above said, include WPML in your i18n strategy, but don’t forget to see the full picture!

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+1 more
WillHerring Envato team says

Hi Ruben,

You’re right, 30% doesn’t mean 300%. The CEO’s #’s included authors outside of Themeforest. After his claim we went through the data for all of our WordPress files and found numbers specific to Themeforest. Themeforest specific increase is on average 3x. This is probably due to to our large international audience. Sorry for not clarifying.

Thanks, Will

3610 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Hi Ruben,

You’re right, 30% doesn’t mean 300%. The CEO’s #’s included authors outside of Themeforest. After his claim we went through the data for all of our WordPress files and found numbers specific to Themeforest. Themeforest specific increase is on average 3x. This is probably due to to our large international audience. Sorry for not clarifying.

Thanks, Will

Thanks for clarifying! So you did the survey and the increase is there! Amazing!! 3x is really a lot.. Looking forward to see this action myself :D

2 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
csspressit says

Thank you so much for this information. Do you know any tutorial or any link with more information to make a wordpress multilingual? Thanks again.

It seems a common misconception to think that if a theme is “WPML compatible” you’re done with internationalization (i18n). That is not true!

Internationalization of WordPress themes and plugins is much more than adding a little “wpml-config.xml” file to your theme. The foundation of any i18n ready theme & plugin is the proper usage of all existing WordPress (and Gettext) i18n functions and standards. That includes among other stuff: - unified textdomain - EVERY string for frontend and backend is translateable - proper usage of WP’s i18n functions (less markup as possoble etc.) - no constant or variable as textdomain - as much as possible every error message is also translateable

There are dozens of other so-called “multilingual plugins”, WPML may be popular but is not the only one!

Don’t only prepare for one plugin on the market—this strategy may lock you in long-time. Make your themes and plugins translateable following the standards and you will be on the safe side!

The above said, include WPML in your i18n strategy, but don’t forget to see the full picture!
2 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
csspressit says

Nice post! Please more info about it!

by
by
by
by
by
by