1752 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

I have one single-page theme that obviously doesn’t link to the url of the posts/pages, the content is on just one page and I use the post slug to link in the menu, but my theme got rejected 3 times in a row because I use my own function to generate the menu and make it more customer-friendly. If I’d use WP Nav menus I’d lose the contact form which is created automatically and added in the menu(every customer needs it so why making his life complicated?) and obviously the customer would need to know how to find the slug of the page, how to create a custom link, how to properly create the custom link and so on. So probably from 50 customers using the wp custom menus, 45 will end up asking for support and 20 saying the theme is bugged.

I really don’t understand why the WP Nav menus are so important and mandatory when I have the exact same functionality required for the menu in my theme options panel.

Waiting for other people’s opinion, just curious. Thanks.

no-thumbnail
WordPress_Coding_Standards Recent Posts Threads Started
7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
WordPress_Coding_Standards says

It’s mandatory because it is the right way to do it. Your users deserve to be able to use WordPress nav menus.

What if your user decides he wants to create an extra menu item related to a category then add a child category as a drop down. Your way restricts this.

Themes should not limit the use of any WordPress features. Kudos to Envato for finally enforcing standards.

+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Since we’re talking about a single-page theme and there are many popular ones I checked that don’t have this ‘feature’, I can’t see why mine is the only problem. And since it’s a single-page teme, there’s no dropdown menu and there shouldn’t be any external links by default, otherwise this would be a normal theme and not a single-page one.

Most of the users buy themes for personal use and don’t wanna go into coding, the reviewers are forcing me to make their life harder, imagine I’d have to teach them what’s the slug of a page, how to get it, how to create the link in order to proper keep the homepage effects e.g. #my-custom-slug, etc. And all this for what?

3524 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Most of the users buy themes for personal use and don’t wanna go into coding, the reviewers are forcing me to make their life harder, imagine I’d have to teach them what’s the slug of a page, how to get it, how to create the link in order to proper keep the homepage effects e.g. #my-custom-slug, etc. And all this for what?

You don’t have to teach them how to build their links. You have to build the link in an intelligent way for them to use. And 50% of the buyers are guys who develop the theme further, so you need to provide a good framework for them to use and customize.

Lately .. like the other guy said, it’s the right way. If i would buy a theme and i couldn’t configure the menu myself, i would instantly rate it one star .. sorry, but you this is real :)

+8 more
FinalDestiny says

You can configure the menu in my own theme options panel, but since the menus shouldn’t be pointed to external links, but to #slug-of-the-pages, there are 2 options:

1) I implement the WP Nav Menus, make the links automatically go to #post-id or #post-slug, but that would break the functionality of creating external links or linking to a blog page/etc 2) I implement the WP Nav Menus, leave the links how they originally are so the users configure them manually, like creating custom links that go to #post-slug, but again, many users won’t know how to properly configure it 3) Leave it without WP Nav Menus and they can choose what pages they want on the homepage directly in my theme options panel and the links are generated automatically. This is what I chose and I really can’t see what’s the problem with it, it’s the best option from my point of view, if anyone wants to add an external link, I can show them exactly where to do that(probably <2% of the customers would want this).

+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Solution: I used a walker for wp_nav_menu and for the posts/pages added to the menu I got the $post variable with the get_post() function based on the post ID from the menu..and generated the menu link with ”#slug-name”. For categories/external links I kept the original url.

Now the problem is, the same pages I use in the menu must be visible on the homepage. So the custom menu fails in this situation because you can’t select both posts and pages with one query.

Any ideas?

by
by
by
by
by
by