639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

...that if we start discussing standard ways to use shortcodes, CPTs, etc, we can being moving every developer in that direction. Just little by little.

What a noble thing to do :)

Allthough i partly agree, just because it’s your standard thing to do doesn’t mean it has to be someone else’s.

23 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+2 more
bravewhale says

...that if we start discussing standard ways to use shortcodes, CPTs, etc, we can being moving every developer in that direction. Just little by little.

What a noble thing to do :)

Allthough i partly agree, just because it’s your standard thing to do doesn’t mean it has to be someone else’s.

Haha, gee thanks :P

That’s very true, and I don’t propose we force this on anyone. I’m saying there are several devs who want to embrace this plugin methodology, so we should have a way for them to work toward the same goal. If you or another dev wants to follow suit and build with these standards, then wonderful! If not, then please continue as you wish. I just suspect if we start standardizing this sort of thing, and more devs jump on board, then it’s more likely to be beneficial to all devs as time goes on.

I don’t dislike themes that include a bunch of features, and I’m still amazed by what these authors can do, but I don’t think it’s a very scaleable or future proof way of building themes for the masses.

639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Haha, gee thanks :P

That’s very true, and I don’t propose we force this on anyone. I’m saying there are several devs who want to embrace this plugin methodology, so we should have a way for them to work toward the same goal. If you or another dev wants to follow suit and build with these standards, then wonderful! If not, then please continue as you wish. I just suspect if we start standardizing this sort of thing, and more devs jump on board, then it’s more likely to be beneficial to all devs as time goes on.

I don’t dislike themes that include a bunch of features, and I’m still amazed by what these authors can do, but I don’t think it’s a very scaleable or future proof way of building themes for the masses.

Yes i agree.

Creating it isn’t the real problem really – if you see authors creating things like one click demo importers etc, they surely can create something for this to :)

It could be plain simple things like if you have a pagebuilder that uses shortcodes: supplie a plugin that reads the shortcodes – this way the content still functions whenever someone switches theme without the pagebuilder.

But, if themes come packed with plugins to keep their functionaility working in other themes, what about the prices? How does an author feel when he created a really cool feature and sees it being used in other themes instead of his own cool design, maybe holds back the compatibility thinking…

We’ll see where this is going. I’m playing with the idea.

544 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

Show me just one author that doesn’t include shortcodes in his theme, doesn’t include a drag & drop builder directly in the theme, but gives everything via plugins.

We’re moving that way with our CPT Portfolio Plugin, Shortcodes Plugin, and Tweets Plugin. Trying to keep things a bit more flexible for users and for us.

No drag and drop here tho – too intense.

544 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeBeans says

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by