3 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
Frenkz says

I’ve been there, which is exactly why I was concerned about this for my own themes. Maybe an admin notice stating that the plugin must be activated for added features, as well as a reference to the documentation page would reduce some of the support issues/ratings issues.

This is a handy script for handling plugins on theme activation. https://github.com/thomasgriffin/TGM-Plugin-Activation

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Shortcodes in themes sold here are tightly bound with the theme itself. Having them in a separate plugin to be used with another theme is never going work. Quick example: how a tab (or column) shortcode using twitter bootstrap is supposed to work in a theme not using it ?

And who’s going to handle support for such situations ? neither author of new theme or author of old one will be able to so the buyer will be left alone to solve the issue. When he realize he can not, who’s going to blame in comments/ratings ?

BF

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
imikedesigns says

This is a handy script for handling plugins on theme activation. https://github.com/thomasgriffin/TGM-Plugin-Activation
Thanks. Looks like a very handy script.

@pixelentity That’s a good point. So what to do? Add these things to the theme and forget about it? Its a tough issue.

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
+1 more
greenshady says
Sad part is that so many authors included them in the theme, that buyers here are actually expecting the theme shortcodes and CPTs to work as soon as the theme is installed. “It works in the demo, why the hell is my site broken when I install your theme?!” doesn’t look too good for sales… so authors keep including them.

This isn’t a user problem though. It’s a developer one. More specifically, it’s a TF developer problem. You rarely see this type of issue in the larger WP theme developer community, and the few lingering issues are being worked out by the development community.

Too many developers here on TF are thinking about the bottom line rather than what’s best for their users. When you add functionality that literally holds the key to a user’s content within a theme, you’re locking them into using your theme and your theme only, at least until the user hires another developer to fix your crap.

Not only is this bad development practice, it’s an unethical business tactic.

Shortcodes in themes sold here are tightly bound with the theme itself. Having them in a separate plugin to be used with another theme is never going work.

This is exactly why there’s such a problem on TF with these things. Rather than saying you can’t do something, you should be asking, “What solutions can we come up with?” and working to fix the problem.

A developer’s job is to come up with solutions for problems.

Quick example: how a tab (or column) shortcode using twitter bootstrap is supposed to work in a theme not using it ?

Any 13-year-old WP developer with Bootstrap knowledge could write this plugin in about two hours. Any more examples?

And who’s going to handle support for such situations ?

Be more specific. Each scenario has a different solution.

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Why would I, as a developer, use shortcodes or plugins from another developer or some 3rd party plugins, in order to make them compatible with all the themes?

There is no point in doing that and that would cause lots of questions like “What? Why do I need all this kind of plugins to use your theme?” or bug reports related to the shortcodes and functionality you didn’t write. That’s never going to work, it’s like having all the features a BMW car has, in a Renault car, just because they’re both cars. That’s never going to happen.

158 posts
+1 more
greenshady says
Why would I, as a developer, use shortcodes or plugins from another developer or some 3rd party plugins, in order to make them compatible with all the themes?

Because you care about the people using your products.

If you’re really worried about someone else’s code, write your own plugin(s). This isn’t about 3rd-party vs. in-house code. It’s about good vs. bad development practice.

There is no point in doing that and that would cause lots of questions like “What? Why do I need all this kind of plugins to use your theme?” or bug reports related to the shortcodes and functionality you didn’t write.

Nevermind that the larger WP developer community has been handling this well for years.

That’s never going to work, it’s like having all the features a BMW car has, in a Renault car, just because they’re both cars. That’s never going to happen.

I’m not even sure how to respond to that. That is not even close to accurate analogy of the topic at hand.

1477 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Interesting discussion.

I would agree that such functionality belong’s to plugin for sake of portability, but I don’t see it happening very soon, existing authors will hardly leave the routine they have now.

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Any 13-year-old WP developer with Bootstrap knowledge could write this plugin in about two hours. Any more examples?
No point in doing that when any 13-year-old WP developer could solve the issue in no time.

BF

1772 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Some buyers don’t know how to correctly install the theme and you expect them to download and install different plugins in order to make the theme work? No way. It is an extremely BAD development practice to make your themes depend on 3rd party plugins.

158 posts
+1 more
greenshady says

Not at all. Your theme should work without any plugins.

by
by
by
by
by
by