347 posts Gambit
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bfintal says

Hi All,

Please help me with polishing this theme. http://themes.charcoal.gambit.ph I just ditched the previous theme I made and went with this current one instead but I’m still met with rejections even after lots of redesign and polishing. I’m losing my patience already and I’m just about to give up putting up new theme in TF.

Here’s what the reviewer said:

Like Siddharth mentioned “most important sections are downright incomplete”

1. Above the fold your theme looks fine but when as soon as you scroll it looks incomplete and with a lof of typography inconsistencies.

2. Theme slider will need improvements in performance, typography and overall aesthetics. There’s no navigation for slide items?

3. There are a few inconsistent spacing/padding issues throughout the design. I’d like you to go over it with a fine toothed comb and weed out these basic design issues.

4. Overall theme’s typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for Theme Forest. The theme will need also improvements in visual hierarchy primarily using typographic elements such as headings.

5. Even with the current design, a significant increase in the polish of the various aspects of the theme may just swing the decision in your favor. Right now, it doesn’t feel like a premium design.
2186 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I agree with the reviewer. You have a cool concept tho i tell you that but work on the suggestions given by Siddharth trust me he is really good and he will help you get your template approved. Definitely the slider needs nav buttons or arrows.

I think you can polish this template up to pass man, just be patient and follow the suggestions and you will see.

Cheers

Lester

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

The slider is actually in the background so there’re no arrows.

Can you help with the other points of the reviewer?

2186 posts
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Ok, so this is what i would do. All your headings and titles, why not use some nice cufon fonts.

also on the blog page the category buttons are not inline with the text, same with the page 1-2 button.

the contact page is not lined up to anything meaning the left content is not lined up to the right content or visa versa.

The widget page titles are too similar and the size difference is not enough. Also here you can use some cool cufon fonts.

Portfolio pages, the same as the blog pages the buttons are not lined up with the image or text.

You can use some nice tooltips or hover overs and so on.

As for the main slider, i would still put some nice arrows for navigation even if you just add it to have more options for the buyer also maybe a image loader between slides and have the option for an info button on the bg images as an extra option even if some buyers don’t use it it will be there if they would want something like that.

Also maybe under the logo put a small slogan to have less empty space.

The menu is cool but i would change the submenu bg and take away some of the drop shadow maybe make the bg a bit transparent even change the bg color of the sub menu to maybe black but at like .85% transparent.

For cufon fonts i really like the titillium and kozuka fonts but there is a lot of nice fonts to choose from.

So far this is what i can think of by looking at the theme. It’s a cool theme tho you should make it liquid and stay away from the 960 grid. Maybe some cool Jquery animations between switching pages.

Cheers

Lester

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

In the buttons of the blog pages not being aligned, do you mean that there is a small margin on the sides of the buttons that are preventing them from being vertically aligned with the text above them?

Sorry, got confused with this one: “The widget page titles are too similar and the size difference is not enough. Also here you can use some cool cufon fonts.”

2186 posts
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Hey

It’s hard to explain zap me a message on skype les.majszki

Cheers

Lester

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

Hey Lester, I fixed a lot of alignment/margin and typography issues in the theme. I also used Titillium instead.

Sorry wasn’t able to skype, I fell asleep and I just checked your reply now :)

http://themes.charcoal.gambit.ph/

Did a lot of changes and I think these all merit a resubmission.. fingers crossed

2186 posts
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

Hey Looks a lot better man. I would also darken the sub menu bg. I think maybe have a little transparency maybe some cool texture but to me the light bg is not doing it.

The Titillium font makes a huge difference, it’s an awesome font. Anyhow wish you luck on the submission if you need anything gimme a buzz on skype i am always on.

cheers

Lester

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

Hmm still got a rejection.

I’m in the process of redesigning the blog pages, I’ll simplify and make it into 2 columns instead (image on the left, all the rest on the right), the make the date, comment count and categories/tags into icons with a tooltip instead. I’m dropping the other layout types and sticking to a single one.

I might also just remove that colored horizontal line that is scattered across the theme.

Thinking of redesigning the other page also but I dunno yet.

347 posts Gambit
+4 more
bfintal says

Ok, so I did a lot of redesign and really got into the details of the theme. Here it is now: http://themes.charcoal.gambit.ph/

by
by
by
by
by
by