316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Reviewers should just reject themes that includes tonnes of shortcode integrated into their themes. I know I did this too in all my recent themes, so I’m not trying to be hypocrite here – but i’ve included only enough so that users won’t complain about the theme not having any.

If reviewers can just be more strict about this, for the sake of WP best practice, we can all be happy and remove any shortcodes we have in our themes (or turn it into a plugin instead).

295 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
crossroad says

I agree with you pretty much. I have seen the trend on the themeforest that authors often include so much useless and unnecessary features (not only shortcodes) to their themes just because other themes have it. But at the end, I guess its author’s own choice.

117 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
fAntasticmE says

even if they decide to add unnecessary shortcodes it should always be on a plugin so when the theme changes youre not left with brackets everywhere

271 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

I ditched shortcodes in my latest two themes, as I realized I’ve been doing it wrong the whole time.

The response from my customers to ditching shortcodes was awesome!

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
dazzlemix says

Can somebody point me to the “bad” example? Thanks!

171 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
MsTrends says

yes, i think there should be a standard class/plugin with some predefined basic shortcodes which every themeforest author should/could use and style according to overall styling of their themes.

103 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
sheko_elanteko says

IMO , a unique plugin developed by the author, shipped with the theme files and works well with other themes will be enough.

707 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+2 more
ChillThemes says

I quit putting shortcodes in my themes also. The only shortcodes I have on my theme are a login/logout link, query counter for load speed testing, display the site link, display the site title, display the year, display a link to wordpress.org, display a nav menu, and a slideshow for gallery post types.

I also just create plugins when I need a custom post type, keeps things more organized and makes it easier to update. The most basic of html elements shouldn’t even be made into a shortcode. I even thought of making my own shortcode plugin but many already exists.

158 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

The only reason shortcodes are needed is because authors are trying to compete with other authors. It’s just a race to see who can add the most features.

I’ve been in the WordPress theme business longer than most (since 2008) and have never needed to resort to such measures. I’ve also never had a user ask me for such shortcodes, but that’s really besides the point. We all know the reasons it’s wrong to add shortcodes for use in post content to themes, so I won’t go over them. But, until the reviewers (or whoever controls this process) outright ban this sort of thing in themes, we’ll keep having this conversation.

It makes it hard for theme authors who follow standards and best practices to compete with theme authors who are not following those same standards and practices. Envato is promoting this by not stepping in and doing anything about it. It’s a disservice not only to the theme authors here but to the users who spend their money here.

As I’ve said before, I’ll be more than happy to code the plugins needed to help in this area and release them for free (as I’ve already shown with my [column] shortcode plugin). I’m offering my services free of charge to this community and the greater WordPress community.

Can somebody point me to the “bad” example? Thanks!

All shortcodes designed to be added to post/page content are bad practice assuming they’re added to a theme instead of a plugin.

1594 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

If you take a look at the popular list for WordPress you’ll see the themes that are killing it in sales include a TON of shortcodes. If that’s what buyers want that’s what you should supply them, at the end of the day this is a business.

If you don’t supply what they want, then most likely you’re going to see little to no sales at the end of the day.

by
by
by
by
by
by