1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Hi Guys and Girls

Imagine you have theme, really old one, but it’s still selling well. You know that it lacks of many features which weren’t available when you’ve created it, and the base of that theme is not so good, comparing to current standards. You know you could do it now 20 times better. It needs rebuilding.

But rebuilding it will end in completly new backend, so anybody who will update it, will loose all settings and data, and there’s no way to avoid that. Do you think it’s worth it?

Would you create new theme, based on the same idea but done better, and upload it as a new, deleting the old one (which is not fair imho), or would you just update the theme risking hell from the customers who will have problems after updating it.

272 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

Hey purethemes,

I can tell you this from my very own personal experience. It would be better if you would release a brand new theme, rather than updating an old theme with a completely rebuilt back-end. I’ve took this risk with one of my themes and the customer reaction wasn’t so great. I’m sure I won’t be taking this risk one more time :)

1012 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

Thanks, that’s what I expected to read, but still leaves the question what to do about old theme, keep it or remove it?

169 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
mikedidthis says

I have had an itch to rewrite one of my old themes for a few months.

The idea was to release the ‘rewrite’ as a new theme, but only if I could offer current customers of the ‘original’ a free copy of the ‘rewrite’.

I contacted support, but never heard back.

272 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
icypixels says

@purethemes: As long as it’s not buggy and works with the latest WP3.5 version, and it still sells, I think there’s no need to remove it :)

If you would remove it you would get a whole lot of customers emailing you where is their theme they have purchased some time ago.

422 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UXbarn says

Thanks, that’s what I expected to read, but still leaves the question what to do about old theme, keep it or remove it?

I think that totally depends on you. Personally, if the theme is still worth generating the great income, I might keep it. But the trade-off is that I would spend the time for supporting it as well.

So if you don’t have any problem with the theme’s income, I think you can remove it but perhaps adding some notification for buyers before removal (1 week or more) would be a great idea.

Anyway, for the original question of the topic, I totally agree with @icypixels. Rebuilding entire backend for old theme is probably a disaster since it could cause trouble for many buyers. :)

1875 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

I would release a brand new theme and keep the old one. We have some really old theme which I would like to give a proper restart at some point.

493 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

We asked support about this recently. In our case it was concerning a HTML template which was old but popular. When building a WP version of it recently, we completely rebuilt the original HTML template, adding responsiveness, bootstrap framework etc, and were wondering if there was a possibility of releasing the rebuilt version as a new template.

Basically support told us the answer was no, unless the new one did not look like the old one (totally new design), or that it had some significant additional features, which would enhance the template’s fundamental use ( e-commerce support ). There was a 3rd condition, which I can’t remember now, might have been something like if it’s made using a different technology (Drupal, WP, Magento etc.)

So in the end we did nothing with the old template.

by
by
by
by
by
by